EggCiting News



When my daughter got married, my sister and I (because I thought this a good idea at the time) were going to make deviled eggs for the dinner to accompany the wonderful Buzz and Ned's food that was served.

Given the task at hand, I followed Julia Child's method.  I had good luck with that method until that important day where I was making the most eggs (72 eggs for 144 halves).  Oldish eggs really are a boon to deviled egg making.  My eggs were store bought the day before.  Ugh.  (And you can check an egg for being inedible by seeing if it is a 'floater'.  Any egg that floats in your water should be discarded.  Best not to open it or you may never eat an egg again!)

I pricked the shells to let air out, I boiled and then covered, put in ice bath, returned to hot water--all of the steps that had led to great eggs....until that needful day.

Our peel failure rate was high and time was ticking!  About halfway through, we almost gave up.  The dogs were happy, because nothing is better than a failed peeled egg!

Despite our problems, we ended up with beautiful eggs, but....about halfway through, we almost jumped ship.

I stumbled upon this wonderful video from Food and Wine. (I'm hoping that it shows below). It's the greatest tip! Using a spoon to peel an egg.





Thunder Group SLPR009, Stainless Steel Potato Ricer
Be sure to look at some of the other Mad Genius tips! (He also has one on grating frozen butter for biscuits, etc--I can happily say that I had my own mad genius moment on that some years ago!)

My mad genius tip to share? Use a potato ricer for the egg yolks.  Never used a potato ricer?  If you are a kitchen gadgeteer, it is a must for super creamy mashed potatoes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment