Best New Technique | Best New Hack

I stumbled upon the Sew Kind of Wonderful Curved ruler.  You can find them on You Tube here.  I ordered both the QCR (Quick Curves Ruler) regular and mini size.  The mini size came.  I did a few things with it (as I fell in love with curved pieces weekend before last).  When I found their videos and saw the patterns that they were making with it, I knew I had to have this ruler.

These curved blocks are on bias.  Accordingly, when you sew them, there is a natural wonkiness that occurs.  The patterns have plenty space to true up. However, as these are curved seams, the true up is based on the curved seam line.  You are marking two points at opposing ends of the curve that give you 1/8" from the seam to the outside edge and the furthest ends of the curve that lie within your block trim allowance.

That, is the best new technique.  The videos show you how easy and fun even that sewing these curves can be.  Further, this tecnique yields so many possibilities for your creativity to make fun and fresh designs.

Now the hack....  They demonstrate using a Sharpie to mark dots on your ruler.  Easy enough done--but a little scraping off involved.  However, I saw another use a dry erase pen. Well, the dry erase is the bomb.  I now have dry erase fine markers in my sewing area to mark my rulers for my cut measurements.  As it easily wipes away, it is a no muss, no fuss method.

0 comments:

Post a Comment