Finished Quilt Top: LeMoyne Star On Point

 

Above is my Youtube video of my LeMoyne Star on Point that I just finished.  Those compound Lemoyne Stars are very time consuming. I pieced the insets traditionally. But the design possibilities are endless.  I had original planned to have these on point with alternating dark/light. My eye did not like that so well.  I elected to use the square in square.  My blocks finished at 9.5".  I calculated the CST's for the squares cut on diagonal.  To do this, I used the following (slightly oversized for trim down)

The real math is this:      Finished Block/1.414 + .875 = size of the square to be cut on diagonal.

The mere mortal math is this:  FB/1.414 + 1.5 = size of the square to be cut on diagonal for NO MORE TEARS trim down

I learned early on that bias = wonk.  Accordingly, anytime I have bias in a block I employ slightly oversizing with trim down.

In addition to pleasingly framing the blocks it amplified the size of my 9.5" blocks to 13.5".  

💡Setting a complicated block on point is an easy way to (1) showcase the block and (2) get a larger footprint.
Most of my blocks are different, but I happened to cluster a few of the same together. I could have avoided that. Sniff.

💡Hint:  Use your phone's view finder if you cannot get back far enough from your design wall.  While I did not spy the "eye jolts" on my design wall, I saw it the instant I looked through my phone to take a picture.  I wasn't going to unpick any seams.  This is for my son, and neither he nor anyone else would notice.

I likely could spend the rest of my quilting life making these interesting compound LeMoyne Star clocks. There is something delicate and elegant about them. To my eye anyway.

I have several quilt tops that I need to get basted and quilted.  I really enjoyed making this quilt top and experimenting with the many intricate ways to make these blocks while just using a few fabrics.

 


 


0 comments:

Post a Comment