The Lemoyne Star---Again

 I've been away from star making since my last post.  Yesterday I decided I would try to make the star again using my sew and flip method.  I looked at it against a regular Lemoyne Star.  The regular star is prettier.  The sew and flip gives an additional seam in each corner and at each set in triangle.

The point of these alternative ways is to avoid dealing with Y seams.Y seams are not hard, it is really the mastering of the fabric handling that is key.  I put together a regular LeMoyne star.  It was sad.  Had I forgotten everything that I had learned?  Apparently the answer was a resounding yes.

I went back to the two mountains that have helped me with the LeMoyne Star.  One is Edyta Sitar's video and the other from TQS.  Both of which have different techniques.



I spent the day today, perfecting my technique.  I'm happy to say that all of my Y seams are perfect.  I blended some of the methods from both videos.  I found that for setting in squares, pressing the square into a diagonal was very helpful. That way there is a perfect needle stop that is exactly at the pivot crease is on diagonal and the 1/4" seam allowance combines for the perfect pivot.

I do not care for the oversewing and unpicking in Dee's method.  I don't use it. 

Practice really does make perfect. And there is NO other construction method that yields as lovely a star.

0 comments:

Post a Comment