1954 Singer 66

I purchased a 1954 Singer 66 in mint condition from a local Craigslist seller.  I thought that the machine might be more "solid" than Brown Betty, not a cookie, but my pet name but for my Kenmore 117.812 (made by White, 1948).  I paid $100.  It was in excellent, original condition.  It needed nominal cleaning but MUCH oiling.  It needs a replacement belt and a new tire for the bobbin winder. Also, the clutch is not disengaging correctly for the bobbin winder as the winder winds but the needle goes. . I think that is an easy fix.

With two vintage machines, one a rotary, one an oscillating, I had a chance for a sew off.  Make no mistake.  The Singer 66 is "Black Beauty"...she is sleek and graceful.  Brown Betty...well she looks like she is built for radar subterfuge like a stealth bomber: angular and jaunty. I've heard so much about the Singer 66 being a workhorse and that it had more foot clearance than the Kenmore it seemed a reasonable purchase.  I do have my grandmother's Singer 66, but it is a treadle, and I have not conscripted that into service.  However, I did learn that you can motorize one if it has a hole in the cast body to accept a motor.  It does.  We'll put ideas about that machine in the parking lot for now.

Before the sew off, though, I had to give the 66 a fighting chance.  Armed with Kroil that I had put into a small bottle with a very small metal tip, I liberally squirted Kroil in all the oil parts and underneath the machine.  I removed the side plate and spied some trapped, red,  'material'.  Oh, I must get this out.  I tugged, poked prodded and even resorted to getting a lighter to burn it out.  I also spied a screw that if I could undo it I could more easily get to the trapped red stuff.  That screw was so tight I had to abandon.

It then occurred to me that all of my efforts were thwarted for a reason.  Alas, I learned that the red bit of felt is simply wicking material that you drop oil on to keep the race lubricated. Whoopsie!  Second, I learned that the unyielding screw was "the screw that must not be turned".  It houses the integral, needful things for it to STITCH.  Luckily the screw that must not be turned could not be turned:  Disaster averted. (I will also note, that I have my grandmother's vintage 66 red eye.  I note that the red felt in the bobbin is completely gone).

To repair my felt excavation damage, I found some candle wicking material and shoved it into the spring that held the last few shreds of the red felt. It seemed secure, and I oiled it.  I ran the machine very fast so that the Kroil could do it's thing.  I then put sewing machine oil on everything.  The machine was running well.  

In my unofficial sew off, I was evaluating speed and feed in addition to stitch quality.  Brown Betty, hands down, feeds stronger and straighter than the Singer 66.  I'm no scientist, but I'm going to attribute it to the configuration of the feed dogs.  It has a middle grabber in front of the needle v. behind the needle as my other machines do.

I also did some obnoxiously thick fabric (basically a strap that (that is 4 layers of fabric once folded) and then folded 4 times.  It barely fit under the feet of either machine.  Brown Betty chewed right through it.  Black Beauty...balked at first, but chugged through.  I believe the stitch formation was prettier on Brown Betty.

I ran a quilt sandwich through Brown Betty.  She said, "Yessir, I will have some more please!"  Effortless stitching.  However, there is no way to lower the feed dogs.  I improvised 'something' that would equate to a darning foot.  However, I could not get a stitch to form.  I have other machines, so no need to spend time worrying with that.

I'm unclear of the origin of my new fascination with these vintage machines.  However, one thing is for sure...."They don't make them like they used to!"  Nevertheless, modern machines do have more amenities.

I have two more machines coming...such a bug has bit me. 

Machine 1:  An mid-50's Singer 215G I found on  Ebay.  It is a German made Singer with some residual features from the Haid und Neu Company which was purchased by Singer..  It is straight stitch only, but the feed dogs do drop.

Machine 2:  A mid-50's Singer 404 Slantomatic.  It was only made for a couple of years.  Apparently quilters did not like the stitch so much, and it was not as portable as the 301's.  I purchased this from Goodwill.  I consider it a donation, so I don't feel so badly.

 

 

 






0 comments:

Post a Comment