Captain's Log: Sourdough Starter + Spinach Fettuccine Noodles

 Note to self:  If you think that you are going to remember when you started something.... you won't.


I'm on day ? of my sourdough starter project. (Grumbles to self per above). (Well, I'm a full week in at least given I tarried on writing this post).

My home is so fricken cold (by choice) that things that need a balmy environment will be disappointed.  Not having a reliable warm place, I had to make one.  I took my crockpot liner and set it on heating pad set on the lowest setting. It was perfect.  My sourdough starter, which I started with whole wheat flour and fed with AP flour seems healthy a bubbly.

If there is one good thing that came from COVID it was that people came to understand the domestic arts and the importance of having the simple reliance on their own skills to eat. Further, many many talented folks began videos.  In fact the quality and variety of videos on how to do stuff is amazing to me.  I surely rely on such.

That bread is so endemic to thousands of years of agrarian heritage--when what was first cultivated--yet so mysterious is a a wonderful paradox.  Sourdough in particular has become lifted from a simple artisanal  endeavor to something elevated to sublime.

Perhaps in search of the perfect "anything" is akin to chasing unicorns and pots of gold at the end of a rainbow.  The essence of being human is to achieve perfection--or at least codify the steps to achieving such an impossibility and cultivating guilt and frustration along the way.

However, it is this very quality (and I believe it a quality as opposed to some of our other, lesser traits), that creates the rich field of sharing knowledge, creating social connections on similarly minded.

I have more recently come across folks stating overtly what I have said many times:  most any type of endeavor engages not only our mind but our senses.  Cooking certainly engages all of the senses.  Sewing...not so much the need to smell unless you are ensuring your iron isn't setting your sewing area on fire or you have a cat that has made a naughty in your stash.  But you get what I mean.  And any of the engaged senses (however many or few) have to be taught/trained/refined.

I am happily doing something new in the kitchen (not that!).  Making pasta.  My maiden voyage fared extremely well.  I then moved to making spinach fettuccini.  It was magnificent though I had a moment doubt.

0 comments:

Post a Comment