Juki Kirei HZL-NX7

 

Juki Kirei HZL-NX7
My machine arrived yesterday.  I was anxious to try it out.  I bought it used on ebay at 50% savings of the current new offerings.  It came without the knee lift, but my Bernina knee lift worked just fine.  All other "stuff" appeared to be in the box.

Overall First Impressions:

My first impressions is that the quality of the needle lift and bar are not at the same level as my Bernina. Of course, you pay for that quality.  Same can be said for the and crank, foot controls.  This observation is not a criticism.  The same can be said in comparing any European brand to a Japanese brand whether it be cars, motorcycles or sewing machines.  It is how you get great features at an affordable price.

First Sewing Impressions:

  1. Out of the box I had perfect sewing tension EVEN after threading with my 80wt Wonderfil.  The needle that was in it was so much fatter than my Microtex...I switched the needle out to that quickly.
  2. Display and controls are easy to use.  I had watched several of the videos beforehand, and I'm technologically adept most days.
  3. It is very quiet while sewing, though it belches loudly (v. the petite burp of the Bernina) when you turn it on.  It is startling!
  4. The automatic thread cutter, hover, pivot are big pluses and work well. (though the feet relative to the Bernina quality (and price!!!!) feel cheap.
  5. FMQ worked well, and there is plenty of space to work--the main reason for getting this machine. Of course, I need to work out better--with practice--
  6. Throat plate:  The machine comes with two throat plates, which is a plus.  But it has a raised profile v. laying flush with the bed.  That's a big fat minus.  I can definitely can feel it catch when FMQ. I think that covering it with one of those silicone mats is key.  I did a hack and attached one of my teflon mats to the bed (in a very crude way). No drag.
  7. Even feed:  worked very well on the impromptu quilt sandwich that I made.
  8. Sewing speed button does not glide smoothly...but it is a very nice feature.
  9. Foot pedal is very responsive.
  10. Bumps over seams, which I don't experience with my Bernina.  
  11. No problem sewing through thick material.  I had an old pot holder (very thick).  No probem with it sewing smoothly through it.

Conclusions:

My objective was to spend less and get more.  This machine will be perfectly serviceable for my intended use, and I will be more comfortable in my FMQ.  I still havf

0 comments:

Post a Comment