Thrift Store Finds

Yesterday, I was fixin to get ready to sand my trim as part of my painting prep of my great room, and I smartly decided to call my friend Nancy.  Nancy lives in Williamsburg, about 40 minutes away.  She is one of my oldest and dearest friends (28 years).  I asked her if she wanted to have lunch. at our favorite Thai restaurant.  She said yes, enthusiastically.

I introduced Nancy to Thai food 3-4 years ago.  My favorite dish, which I suggested that she try, is the red curry with coconut milk, bamboo shoots, mushrooms, peppers and basil.  She fell in love, and we both enjoy eating at various Thai restaurants.

I say, 'smartly decided' as I'm still nursing a sore back, so sanding trim (baseboard, windows and crown) would not have been such a smart thing to do.  No need for a set back on my sore back healing.  (I did finish painting the monstrosity that caused it).

After lunch, we elected go go thrift store shopping.  I typically never shop with other people.  I like to take my time and not feel that another is bored or worse impatiently bored.  Nancy was neither, and she was delightful company as always.

We went to 2 CHKD Thrift stores and 2 other Thrift stores.  Here are my finds:

  • A never used Schlemmertopf Cooker. It has glazing inside v. my Rommertopf.  At $13, a steal and something that I will enjoy using.

    • Wood Thrush, Antique Print.  Framed.  $42

    The Wood Thrush is one of my favorite birds.  I eagerly await its arrival in spring when it begins calling exactly the same time each year:  the third week in April.  As I inspected my print at home, I noted that it had a notation in the right corner:  Chromolith. J. Bien 1860.

    Upon further research, it appears that I have a half sheet of a J. Bien edition Audubon print.  It is one half of a double print, with the Hermit Thrush being the left side of the plate.   On this double horizontal print, the plate bears the Audubon attribution on the left and the J. Bien edition on the right.  So unless one looked it up, one wouldn't know what it was.  Accordingly if one had the Hermit Thrush, the 'edition' would not be known.

    To be sure the print has not been well cared for, but it is beautiful nonetheless.  I will get it better situated so that it will last for many years to come.  I am so happy to own the uber-vintage print of one of my favorite birds.

    P. S.  I have taken this to a framer to have it re-situated.  The original mat, like many of older eras is acid paper. So, I'm having it rematted, losing the plywood and getting a core back and having UV glass.  The binding edges were evident in the print.  I'm looking forward to getting my print back.

    0 comments:

    Post a Comment