Wood Thrush!

I have been bemoaning the lack of wood thrush vocalizations wondering if they were even nearby.  I've only heard faint singing in the recesses of the woods not my own.  Normally, these guys are singing their hearts out in third week of April.  Here it is mid-May...  One of the joys of getting old is that you get tuned into the large rhythms of nature. I've always noted when I began hearing them and when they fade away. Seems like they are coming later and staying later than some time ago..but 15-20 days or so.

So, my heart skipped a beat when I heard the loud lyrical song of my beloved bird.  I have said in the past that it would be a long, sad lament if I could no longer hear the wood thrush.  What I also noticed, is there is slight variation in the song.  I've noticed that in the past too....as if there are different tribes of thrush that have adopted just the smallest variation.  Unmistakenly a thrush, but with its own little flourish.  Like Tim's (my neighbor) bluebirds adding chicken feathers (he has chickens) as a nest flourish, while mine garnished with pollen stems.


0 comments:

Post a Comment