Good Will Rummaging | Thrift Shops

Yes, there are lots of video ride alongs that people post when shopping at Goodwill or the Dollar Stores, etc.  Why watch when you can go yourself and find some great deals on "stuff" you may or may not need?

I have a pretty finely trained magpie eye.  I simply walk through the aisles with an open mind about "stuff" that I see.  Two Sunday's agp was scorching hot.  I was out and about which always takes me by some thrift store.  Goodwill was in my crosshairs. It was a happening place, to be sure--though none were filming their activities.

I scored a couple of items that I was happy about.  I mentioned previously that I had dusted off my sewing equipment, and created a space for renewed my interest in sewing. I might add that this activity has been a welcome one to retreat from the stresses of life and focusing on creating something. As I was 'designing' my space (which meant I had to clear out old crap in the upstairs room above the garage and then clean, clean clean), I was happy to repurposed some furniture that I was dithering about donating to charity.  I dither, because too often I get rid of something only to later say, "I could have used ____".  Many items have fit in that blank.

Among the things that I was able to use were, a large, 2 leaf Queen Anne Pennsylvania house solid cherry dining table. Likely too nice to be used as a sewing table, but  I used it stage homes that were being refurbished.  I bought it and 5 chairs for $150 at the Children's Hospital of Kings Daughters. So, I don't have much money in it, and it doesn't make sense to buy something else.  It was an exceptional deal then, and I currently use the chairs when I'm entertaining. 

I also have a large rectangular mid-century modern solid cherry table.  It is unique in that it is a fat rectangle, and it is counter height.  It makes a great surface to cut fabric without having to bend over.  I also have an old solid walnut library table. I now have a great "U-shaped" work area where everything is convenient--to include an old wicker bookshelf that serves as the base for my pressing table.

I digressed...So all of the above is the context in which I'm on my Good Will Rummaging expeditions.  Having a specific utility yields much better results than having a specific object in mind.  To wit, as I was browsing, I found a magazine rack with a gate leg shelf.  Well, this was just perfect to put my sewing rulers in and the shelf was off my table surface and an easy place to put needful things.  It cost $8.25 less 50% off.  The second thing that I found was a large, rectangular,  thick cork trivet in an unopened Ikea package.  It was $3.25.  Well, that was just perfect to use as an iron rest.

So, I'm all set up to sew comfortably.

0 comments:

Post a Comment