Less Cursing; More Sewing

I have now achieved quilter's mecca:  my 1/4" seams are truly 1/4" seams.  Oh, until my mind wanders...

There is seldom anything new under the sun.  As I think of quilting, and my bumpy entree into this old craft, I make the instant leap that quilting is much like carpentry.  Working with your tools to measure, cut and fit is no different in carpentry than quilting (at least my smattering understanding of both--thought I probably know more about carpentry than quilting! and I'm a CPA by profession!).

There is a reason why these things are called a craft. When things go right, then all is to be as expected.  However, when things go wrong...poor tools, faulty substrates, faulty materials, faulty execution....that is when the craft badges start to shine.  Coping trim into a non-square corner is like..easing a seam into a non-square block. While best to avoid mistakes, and have good tools, sometimes 'stuff' happens.  And the real professionals know how to fix those things.  I've been surrounded by tradespeople most of my adult life, and I'm pretty handy myself. So I have been undaunted.

 I made the mistake of looking at Bernina machines online to see what has progressed in the line of sewing since I purchaseed by Bernina 910 more than 30 years ago.  It is still a workhorse.  But it has all of 7 stitches.  I also have a Bernette serger...it needs a visit for service.

I see that Bernina has a sewing machine that costs 1.6 times the cost of my first brand new ca in 1982.  Like PetFinder...best not to read the descriptors or you'll bring it home.  It likely could cook dinner.

What I did find was an exceptional deal on a Bernina 530B with the BSR combo.  I found it on Amazon.  The 530B is an entry level machine into the 5 series of Bernina machines.  It is being discontinued. But the machine with the Bernina Stitch Regulator for free motion quilting and the knee lift, and many other functions is far and away better than what I have.  I'm not interested in embroidery, so I'm not lusting after those machines.  But I will note, that there are some compelling deals on ebay for used 580 machines.  (Okay, maybe I would have been happy with a used machine).  But I didn't really look after feeling that I had done alright with my purchase. Many of the features on that machine, I likely would not use.

So I dithered for just a small amount of time.  I told my husband that while it was alot of money, the price was just too good to pass up.  I would have more heartburn letting the deal get away than spending the money.  As I later found (and had initially surmised), there was a typo that listed the machine $300 less than it should have been.  Further, 2 feet that were listed as being included were not what came with the machine.   I'm an auditor at heart, and I ticked off the feet...the most important one being the walking foot.  The embroidery foot being the other foot missing.  The retailer was great and honored the commitment.

I hope that this will give me many years of sewing pleasure.

0 comments:

Post a Comment