Finished Quilt - Piper Girls Daisy Baby Quilt

Here's another Daisy Baby Quilt (Piper Girls free pattern).  Still needs some more quilting within the white blocks, but I ran out of white thread--it's on the way.  I quilted diagonally (in the ditch) of all the blocks, and limited free motion quilting to the white squares and side/corner triangles.  I used 2.5" strips for the colored blocks (purchased at Tuesday Morning for $3.47).  I also used my strip production method as I described in this post. It is a huge time saver and increases accuracy.  My blocks were perfect and my piecing was perfect as well.  I glue basted all of my points.  All seams are pressed to the background.  To keep points flat, I clipped the corners which enable the seams to to be flat on the back (always to background--which takes the twist out of the seam allowance).

The border is a gray on gray print, and the back is a Dear Stella (White Day Break Starburst).  I purchased it at $2.99 a yard on line.  I have an affinity for gray--the perfect neutral blend of white and black.


I have been using a 2.5" border, but 2.25" would have worked better.  I folded it over to take some of the width out, with okay results.  But all of my diamonds line up beautifully.  I used 5 colors in the strips and a white backgrounds.  I used the top row as my metric for successive diamond placement taking the 3rd diamond from each row and starting the the next row and repeating the top row sequence.  It's a brainless way to have lovely, even distribution of blocks.

My free motion quilting is improving. I have a long way to go, but I'm not embarrased by it.  Practice builds mastery.

0 comments:

Post a Comment