Juki MCS 1500 Coverstitich

I have an August birthday (a big round one!).  In July, I decided to give myself a "Christmas in July" AND early big bday birthday present by gifting myself a Juki MCS 1500 Coverstitch machine.

If  you look inside any hem of your knit garments/tshirts, you will see the benefit of a coverstitch machine.  It creates a 1, 2, or 3 needle stretch stitch that will give your garment a professional look.  In this blog post I wrote about the knit tank dress that I made...out of children's fabric no less.  I was dissatisfied with the finish of the hems.  I don't care for zig zagged top stitching, and twin needle has it's own issues.  No, I decided then that I needed a coverstitch.

I made dress # 2 out of knit, but I measured my arm/and neck bands incorrectly.  Too snug, but still comfortable...and the finish was fine.  

Dress #3 was the winner.  I learned from my mistakes in dress #2, and I ended up with a beautiful red with cream polka dot dress that is beautifully made (looks store bot), pretty on and comfortable.  I am glad to have all three.  What is not to love about a dress that you throw over your head and is soft against your skin and doesn't bind anywhere.  

It has been nice to make things for myself again.  I even tried my hand at making....underwear.  Would have never thought to have done so.  I've made two pairs, and I have a little technique development underwear.  But I have two pairs of panties that fit well and are comfortable.  The finishing, though, needs a little better work. The modal fabric was not easy to work with...so I have to practice my material handling methods.

I have a nice trifecta of machines with my sewing (2) , serger and coverstitch.  I'm glad I have a second regular sewing machine.  My newer machine is in for service and it looks like the total time will be a month.  I'm back sewing on my trusty Bernina 910--.




0 comments:

Post a Comment