Fabric Purchases


 I enjoying purchasing fabric, but the costs can add up.  Accordingly, I approach fabric purchasing as I would any endeavor:  bargain shop.  

My bargain shopping is not finding cheap stuff cheap but GREAT stuff Cheap(er) than retail.  Many of the baby quilts that I have made are from high quality fabric discounted.  Tuesday Morning was a favorite place to shop pre-COVID.  I've not been there in a while.  Their fabric is hit or miss...but it can be a big hit.

Hancock's of Paducah and Fabric.com are two other places I go.  Hancock's used to have $3.99 fabrics pre-COVID, but no longer.  Even then, $4.99 is a bargain.  Hancock's also has a print grab bag where you get at least 4 yards of fabric for the price of $4 per yard.  You will get smaller and larger pieces, but you get some cool stuff!  Amazon's 20 pc fat quarters from Free Spirit (now$25) is an excellent value.  But you will get a hodge podge of things, but great for your stash.  They are also great to make zippered bags.

Free shipping is also something that most offer...some with smaller minimums than others..but even if you don't meet the minimum, it is like $5.  

One reason I undertook making baby quilts, is I felt that it was an approachable means of developing my quilting skills.  I started with just basic sewing skills.

When I see high quality fabrics on sale, I buy them.  I buy white and gray fabric on the bolt, because I use those colors in lots of things.  I buy batting on the roll because it is more cost effective (though an outlay).  If I see prints that I like I will get quite a bit.  With my go-to baby quilt, a 4 patch with a featured fabric, I can quickly make a cute baby quilt.  I'm not going for heirloom, just fun and utility.


This fabric works for boy or girls quilts, and I could pair it with some teal and white chevron that I found on sale at a ridiculously low price. It makes a great quilt backing.  

I recently found this Charm Bees.

Well at $3 a yard and free shipping (I saw it on Fabric.com, but they sell it on Amazon too with free shipping).  I can put that on the back of a baby quilt, use it as binding, or make it into a quilt top that would be both colorful and stimulating for a baby.  And I have a grab bag of black and white fabric from Kona in another grab bag, and I'm sure can find a way to make something fun.


0 comments:

Post a Comment