Snap!

 I had a surprising injury Friday a week ago.  I was undertaking a very simple task of cleaning cat gack off of a leather sofa cushion when the joint of my middle finger popped and drooped.  I thought I had dislocated my finger.  It hurt.  I tugged on the finger to ensure that it was in line.  I immediately got some surgical tape and taped the joint securely while I rummaged for my finger splint.  It was really painful on Friday p.m. and Saturday p.m. enough to keep me awake.

The finger splint was a life saver, but clunky.  It was a padded aluminum sheath that went over the fingertip and closed withVelcro strip.  I couldn't type or do any of my needful things.  When I removed the splint on Saturday, my finger tip drooped. I figured that the "snap" was my tendon on my top middle finger knuckle freeing itself, with impunity.

I schlepped to Patient First.  I had to listen to a doofus complaining to another patient (who was very polite) that he would have miss time from work because he was exposed to COVID.   Yes, in the middle of a pandemic they had a "sweet sixteen" birthday party.  His niece tested for COVID.  And he went on and on and on.

I bit my tongue.  I realized that "American Grit" is mostly a myth. Too many citizens feel like protecting themselves an others by something so simple as wearing a mask is an infringement on their "freedom".  Generally it is accepted that with freedom comes responsibility.  I so tire of the stupidity.

I did get my COVID shot today since all is opened up.  My arm is sore.  I have a bit of a headache, but I'm darn happy.  I don't typically get flu shots, but this vaccine is one that I couldn't wait to get. We've known very sick, hospitalized and dead folks from this virus.  And I don't know that many people.

I digress. My finger was Xrayed.  They said I had an avulsion fracture (tendon took bone off), but the next day the nurse called and said the radiologist said no fracture.  I got to the ortho this past Wednesday.  The doc was impressed with my McGyver splinting.  I had shimmed the bottom of my finger with an aluminum rabies tag to keep my finger straighter.  He indicated that such an injury is very common and that the physics must have been just right.

They made me a mega cool "splint, which is a moldable plastic custom fir for my knuckle.  My fingertip is exposed, so I can type. My joint is perfectly and comfortably stabilized. The material is perforated so it is breathable.  Very cool.  

Oh and while I was showering, I reached down and "pop" went my back.  I had to call my husband to take me to the doctor.  I could barely walk.  Yes, I had to ask for a wheelchair and my husband pushed me around to doc office.  I was grateful for his assistance.  It was really important that I make that appointment.  

It's been an agonizing and painful week.  NO matter what my reaction to the COVID vaccine, it will be a stroll in the park compared to my finger and back.



0 comments:

Post a Comment