Hunter's Star: Part II

 You can see my lengthy post on my approaching the Hunter's Star for the first time here.  Here's the result from using 6" quarter blocks to make 12" blocks for this 36" x 36" baby quilt.  While this started as practice, it turned out so well, that I'm not ashamed to give it away.


Hunter's Star Baby Quilt
Hunter's Star Baby Quilt

I started with the turquoise and white, but I did not have enough fabric to make more than 5 complete blocks.  I had some other fabric (that came in a mystery print box from Hancock's of Paducah), that picked up the colors.  I used that as fill in block.  I'll make a baby quilt from this. This finished at 36" x 36".

For those who LOVE stars such as the Lemoyne, the Hunter's Star may be more approachable. The construction methods are VERY different, but you end up with a beautiful eight pointed star inside of a block.

In my prior post, Mary provides a scrappy version, and I think that it looks lovely. 

I see several posting on how to make this using half square triangles. By doing so, you break up prints.  With Deb Tucker's construction method, there is no need to use cheater methods to avoid dealing with sewing diamonds to trapezoids.  Sewing the trapezoid to a diamond strip is so easy and accurate.  I'm not great quilter, but I feel that my results for first time speaks to the ease and efficacy of the method.

 





0 comments:

Post a Comment