One Block Wonder Followup | Strip Width

 I cut my OBW using the recommended 3.75 strip width.  I had some surprising (alarming, disappointing) variations in the height of my blocks.   Now that I have a 6.5" hexagon ruler, I wanted to use this ruler to trim down my blocks.  My OBW blocks, even though carefully cut and sewn ended up with some surprising wonkiness...Sewing 6 triangles with 12 edges of bias will do that

First I did my normal block at 3.75" with careful seams and pressing.  Even though I exercised great care at all stages, I  still ended up with "some here and less there" when I lay the ruler on top of the block. 

I experimented with a 4" width. I had to trim too much off. 

Next up. . . .  I went with 3 7/8ths and that worked out perfectly.  I cut just a small amount around to end up with a perfect 6.5" height block. I will use this size in the future to give myself some wiggle room.  I really want my next whack at the OBW to be perfect, as I will gift it.  Having a ruler to help me "square" the block up nicely will go along way toward improving the end result.

If you are making 6.5" OBW, I highly recommend a hexagon ruler and adding an extra 8th of an inch to your strip width.  It gave me a perfect trim down with negligible waste.

 



0 comments:

Post a Comment