Scraps

 There are tons of videos on how to manage scraps/crumbs.  I currently have a hamper by my cutting table into which I throw scraps, and a trash can into which I throw less than scraps.  And of course there is everything in between!

One method of managing scraps/crumbs is to sew it to adding machine tape to sew small scraps onto.  Claudia and Karen Brown have demonstrated this method. Though I'm an accountant, I have NO adding machine tape!  I do have some painter's masking sheeting.  It fits in a hand held roller that both tapes the top to protect surfaces.  As I was rummaging int my garage, I saw this and went "Hmmm!"

I grabbed the roll.  It measures 9" wide.  You can subcut it into any width, and frankly that is a nice size to work with.  I started with a 2.5" width so that I could put some small strips onto it.I did some test sewing of scraps to this strip.  

Sidebar:  I have been using Wonderfil Decobob thread.  It is an 80wt cottonized polyester.  I just love it.  Fine as frog hair.  Strong.  Sews beautifully but does require you to adjust your tension in your machine.

 This paper tore out so easily!  It was unbelievable how the paper literally just fell away from the seams.  I call that a win.

Of course the UBER-METHOD for managing larger scraps is to cut in squares and strips and sort into colors and put in tidy bins and....I don't want to go there.  That just overwhelms me.

I did pull out my Deb Tucker Wing Clipper tool and put the chart up for square sizes (using the 4 at a time method which is the only method I use).  Pawing through my scraps I picked out useable squares.  Depending on the size, it is either a goose or sky.  

I ended up making quite a few flying geese of varying sizes.  I figure that I will sew these together and then sash in between them.  May make a scrap quilt for personal use or shopping bags. I like DT's ruler because it has multiples sizes in one ruler, unlike some other brands.

I also had quite a few binding strips. One method I deployed was that  I sewed these together, a light and dark pair, and kept cutting in half and resewing for alternating colors. The piece was initially 2 strips wide, then 4, then 8.....you end up with some interesting checkerboards.  

A second method was to just make 4 patches.  So I am amassing a 4 patch collection using 2.5" squares uncut.  Who knows how far it will go?

I'll spend the next week sorting through my scraps and processing them in different ways.  I really admire the engineering mind of many quilters (Lori Holt and Bonnie Hunter) who can beaver on through scraps and make amazing things.  They have the industry of a beaver coupled with great imagination to see wonderful quilt patterns.  I have the industry of a beaver, but not with the ability to sort it into a quilt.  

While I cannot do that now, I can at least see the possibility of fabric into a block..and that is better than I used to be.  I'm still building my skills; I've come a long way.  Have a long way to go still.



 


0 comments:

Post a Comment