Trying to Cool the Jets. . .

 Now that I have finished my Flutterby Quilt top, I'm having to cool my jets so that I don't start the piecing of another top without making headway on my currently unfinished projects.

Batting is on sale now.  I buy my batting on large rolls (30-40 yd).  I get the natural colored batting v. white.  I find that Pellon batting offers the best deal, and it meets my needs.  I just picked up 120" x 30 yards at Walmart for $145.  It is mostly cotton but it has polyester scrim.

Honestly, I've not been quilting long enough to have any firm preferences regarding batting. I typically use 100% cotton or 80/20 cotton/poly.  The June Tailor basting spray is washable out of 100% cotton batting, not polyester.  Something to be mindful of.  I don't make microwave cozies, etc, so the little bit of poly I use is fine for me.

I ordered 15 yards (at 3.99/yd) of Timeless Treasures Soho Sail Blue.  It is beautiful.  It is going to go fantastically with my William Morris Collection of fabric. And it is a lovely medium blue that will go with so many things.

I plan to make this quilt which is using just a single block from the Betwixt pattern.   I will use the Sail blue and a cream (or white).  Unsure of that.  I'm really captivated by the design.

Two Color Quilts Blue + Cream

In the image below, you can see in pink what the actual block is.  It reminds me of Turkish tiles.  I will not make it using the block, but rather, I will make the little 9 patch blocks,cut rectangles 2 x the width value of the 9 patches.  And I'll make economy blocks for the balance.  I may use an accent color for the 9 patch.  But I rather like this pattern--I love the balance and the symmetry.



So, I'll put this on my Kanban Board under planning.  But I will work through my unfinished projects first.

0 comments:

Post a Comment