LeMoyne Star Block: Compound Diamond

 

LeMoyne Star Compound Diamond
I saw a Lemoyne Star made ultra scrappy.  If you click on the picture you will see a Video I created.  I decided that I would experiment with the design.  To make the above star, which is the 9.5" finished block, I did the following:

I cut 2 strips  of fabric 1.5" wide and sewed them together.  These are the plaid and the darker blue/gray

I pressed the strips open (seam pushed to one side). Subcut  this with my diamond ruler at 1.5".

I made two stacks of these cuttings.  

I cut another strip of fabric at 1.5" (the lighter teal).  I placed 1/2 of the units with the gray pointing north and 1/2 with the gray pointing south.  (I glue basted them onto the teal strip, stitched, and then pushed seam towards the teal.)  

Trimmed the combo unit with my diamond ruler.

You need to leave enough room at the top to make the complete diamond angular cut...otherwise you will find yourself short...(as I did on first pass0.


I just adore this block.








0 comments:

Post a Comment