Savannah Great Horned Owl Camera

Savannah Great Horned Owl

 Cornell has Great Horned Owl nesting site on its website.  Pictured above (captured screen shot of live cam) are the mother(l) and the chick.  The chick has grown remarkably fast getting its feathers in the last week...transformed from a downy cotton ball to the teenager-ish great horned owl.  You can watch along too here.

Watching the nest of an apex predator can be jarring to more delicate sensibilities.  However, watching the tenderness as seen above as well as the sheer necessity of providing for a growing youngster(s) gives one an appreciation for the need for efficient hunting.  I call that "the perniciousness of life" .

I love nature--and the fierceness of it is troubling to me. Though I don't consider that I have delicate sensibilities, sometimes I gasp.



0 comments:

Post a Comment