Weekend

Husbando had a chance to go fishing in the OBX with a friend.  I was left to my own devices--which means I didn't have to fix dinner for two nights.   I still refer to the rehab project without any curse words, so I think that it is a good thing.   However, yesterday, Hannah and I worked until we could stand no more and my limit was sorely tested!

 I got there a bit earlier with my trusty side-kick Ella (who we have had almost 3 years now). I primed the last-repaired surfaces so I could paint them later that day.  I really detest working with primer---its utility (stick-with-it-ness) is superb which accounts for its stubbornly moving from your applicator to the surface. 

My second job was to paint the ceiling (stamped drywall).  Once all of the interior sprucing up had been done, the ceiling, much like the windows, became an eyesore  Not only was there an 8x4 repair in the ceiling (to re-plumb the upstairs) that was so brilliantly white, but there were more concentrated dark rings around the former fixtures and gradiently dirty areas around the vents. This just could not stand.

 To the BM paint store for some Super-Spec flat ceiling paint.  I had to roll this ceiling before husbando came back on Sunday (today) from his fishing extravaganza.  He had spent a very long day on Wednesday (on his vacation), leveling the downstairs floor (with our paid professionals).  This required cutting all the way through the existing subfloor and doing something with the joist to get the hump out of the floor. Once the heavy lifting was done, then new luan (1/8" from the specialty lumber store) had to be applied in areas to (1) act as shim to level floor; (2) repair areas where older luan pulled up; (3) and to bring the other rooms (formerly carpeted) up to the same level as this.  My husband deserved a 2 day (if not longer!) fishing trip after doing this.

I would rather have needles stuck in my eyes than paint a ceiling.  Part of this painting required cutting in around the kitchen cabinets.  Cutting in a rough surface (ceiling) against a smooth surface (top trim on cabinets) was not easy.  A reminder why there is a reason for sequential steps in painting (ceiling first, trim next, walls last).  I cut in, and Hannah and I took turns rolling.  My extension pole (I'm not sure that it was anything more than a mop handle) snapped at the screw base (it was plastic).  Luckily, my paint-laden roller missed my head and merely imprinted my left arm with 1/4 roller's worth of paint.  I had another extension (broom handle?).

We finished downstairs.  With paint in my bucket, we went upstairs to inspect the bedrooms.  One greatly benefited from a coat of paint.  I had saved several of the flooring boxes which I had opened flat to create floor protection.  I also had a drop cloth.  As with the windows, upon inspecting our ceilings, we exclaimed, "I'm glad we decided to paint these ceilings!"  At least it was just two problem areas...but it was 500+ square feet. Our collective necks, arms and backs (and feets! (sic)) think that is was more than that. It is done, though.

With that done, I grabbed my last gallon of Hawthorne Yellow to paint over the repaired walls and put a second coat where needed.  I'm glad it was my last gallon, because I would have finished painting the last bit of walls otherwise.  We had already pushed ourselves pretty hard--and we really were beyond our bodies' capabilities at 9 hours of non-stop work.  I need one more gallon of HY to finish painting the stairway (may I survive that endeavor) and the few other places.

On Sunday, husbando returned, and we began the process of laying the floor downstairs.  Finding a true line from the wall required some planning given that walls/rooms/houses are rarely true.  This house, with all of its problems, had surprisingly true walls.


0 comments:

Post a Comment