Paint colors and estate sales

I remain highly dissatisfied with the paint colors chosen at SR: Antique White with White Trim.  I elected to change the color of the downstairs only and the upstairs foyer (as the stairwell wall goes up to the foyer upstairs.).  My friendly pro at the paint store mixed up my Winter Wheat and Crisp Khaki (trim) which appeared to go very well with my slate.  My pro also made up a 'design board' with the colors I chose.  I put the Winter Wheat next to the Antique White....my stomach clenched....Geez, is there really any difference?

Viewing it dead on (which I dabbed on with my perfectly professionally wadded up piece of Bounty Paper Towel), I was hard pressed to see a difference.  Viewed at an angle, I could see the better light where the reflective qualities which 'brightened' the look considerably. I felt a little private stupidityI felt that I had made a good choice; HOWEVER, 99% of folks would likely NOT see the difference.  So since the color isn't so different, and I've learned that my beloved Winter Wheat isn't so far off from Valspar super premium paint "Antique White".  Having said that.....it still has a rich luminescence or either my paint snob rational mind is in overdrive.  It is a reminder that color and light are inextricably linked.  A color that you have in your house (or see in a friend's house, a designer magazine, etc) is going to look different in its intended setting.

I am in love with my slate still.  However, my tile guy noticed that there is some variance in the thickness of the tiles (12x12).  I suppose that with a cleft slate, that is par for the course.  The slate that I have in my house is honed, so it is all very uniform.  I guess my paint and my tile are my 'oh shit' moments for this house.

There was an estate sale in the neighborhood (this is a neighborhood of senior citizens that were the original or second owners).  Every house is different as they were all custom built.  My project is a 4 over 4--a practical, stalwart in this neighborhood.  I was interested in the estate sale to see what the house looked like on the inside, particularly since it had been recently sold.

My recon tour cost me about $400---for that $400 I got:

  • A Thomasville armoire for my husband
  • A Pennsylvania House Cherry China Cabinet 
  • A set of six crystal saki or cordial glasses with delicate little bamboo etchings
  • A Herbert Fink signed print (Winterstorm)
I would say I made quite a haul.  I was there a 10 on Friday when it opened.  I'm most happy with the armoire at $50.  It is attractive, useful and reasonably priced.  Both the armoir and the china cabinet were very heavy pieces.  The china cabinet (chest + hutch) is in my office.  My great room has very little wall space (one of the curses of having lots of windows).  It will work fine in my office.  I'll put (hide) all sorts of stuff in it.

The china cabinet (60 inches) was listed for $595.  It was 1/2 price on Sunday, but I did not want to pay $300 for it.  I offered $200 (sale was closed and I was picking up my armoire).  She (auction house) agreed, but with great reluctance.  She was clearly distressed--saying she wished it were $250.  I agreed.  It was certainly worth it.  I will certainly get lots of use out of it. and it will be in MY estate sale one day.  Hopefully it will be many years down the road.

0 comments:

Post a Comment