Paint Color Angst

My FR project has been relatively easy, an OPW project--OTHER PEOPLE WORKING.  I don't do roofs, heat pumps or carpet--all of which this house needed.  I didn't do painting on this project--at least not yet.  I see the painter forgot about the bi-folds in the garage that go to the laundry in the kitchen. That forgetfulness will require my breaking out my brush.

The horrible 'dowel knobs' (wooden dowel cut in 1 inch increments) damaged the face of every surface attached to-as rough wood surface and smooth paint do not play well together.  So changing the knobs required repairing, and repairing mean repainting.....

Ugh.

I chose a porcelain tile floor, and it was laid.  It matches the countertop, however I'm now not sure if that is a good or bad thing.  With the floor in the yellow cast of the cabinets looked awful.  My paint choice was Benjamin Moore Stonehouse.  After a day of painting by the painter, I visited the job.  The color just did not work at all.  There was a 'rose-ish' cast to the pain in the dim lighting in the kitchen that just looked awful.  Redirect.

In my redirect, I found myself flailing about.  I spied a can of the Linen White trim and slathered it on the apron of the sink cabinet.  "That will do," I said with lukewarm conviction. So I ordered Linen White in Cabinet Coat (Benjamin Moore), which is a great product for cabinets (as the name suggests!).

So "That will do" was transformed (by OPW) to "It is done."  The kitchen has a white tile backsplash, so I'm not thrilled with contrast of the Linen against the White.  Linen is actually a much better color with the counter tops and the floor than the white. 

The original aqua paint in the dining room and the kitchen (the only two rooms I was prepared to paint) were painted Benjamin Moore Muslin with Linen White trim.  I liked the look so much, I elected to paint the entire downstairs as well as the two bathrooms in this color.  I'm glad that I expanded the painting scope, because the living area (which has a cutaway view to the kitchen through the shared wall, had some green cum another color--I couldn't tell if they were trying out new paints or what.  All that was vanquished, including the large holes over the windows for window treatments.

Now that the painting is completed, I'm left with that "Did I make the right choice?" feeling (ANGST!).  I'm missing Winter Wheat and Cream Fleece, which are colors that resonate more with me.  There is a coolness in the Muslin which is likely why I'm feeling left in the cold.

I really dislike feeling ambivalent about this choice.  It is still a great neutral scheme that will appeal to prospective buyers.  I am reminded of the aphorism (which is from Voltaire),  "The best is the enemy of the good."  What I have is quite good, though in my mind's eye, it is not the best.  I'm reminded of the simple fact that color is to the eye as wine is to the tongue:  It possesses a relative, not absolute, quality.  Color changes relative to existing light and other colors.  Similarly, wine  tastes differently when sipped singly v. when paired with other foods.

Having said all of that, I'm either relatively satisfied or dissatisfied!

With this FR project, this is a house in a neighborhood that looks similar to many of the other houses in the neighborhood--planned community ilk to put it bluntly.  Unlike my SR and FD projects which were homes that were unique with many quality features, this FR project does not share that. It is a nice, but not special house.  I should take comfort in that the lack of specialness means that my time commitment has been minimal. Ultimately, the goal on this project is to provide a merchantable product with a minimum amount of time and expense.  Unlike the other projects, this house was in good shape except for normal replacement requirements (roof, HVAC, flooring).  Given the type of house it is, spending more timing making it special would truly be a waste of time and energy.

Now that I've written and thus processed my angst, I'm satisfied, in an absolute sort of way.


0 comments:

Post a Comment