Thanksgiving Eve

Here we are at my favorite holiday:  Thanksgiving.  What more noble quality is there than being thankful for even the smallest blessings in our lives.  I have many things to be thankful for, and will not bore you with those.  But it is a good lesson in introspection to think of these things at this time.

Last year my daughter had Thanksgiving at her home.  We had a lovely time, but she has a smaller home and table, and there are some real constraints.  This year, we have more to the table, so Thanksgiving is back at my house.  It will be nine of us, and I like sitting at the table, not balancing food on plates and knees and having drink place 'somewhere'.

I don't do tablescapes or any other such decorating.  Rather, I put my effort into the food.  I try to offer something new each year, either a side dish or dessert.  No new side dishes; however, I am making a pumpkin cheesecake from the Bittersweet Bistro.  I've not made it before, but I have made the roasted pear, pomegranate salad and it is a spectacular--trust me on this. 

The recipe calls for chocolate wafers.  I surely have never found any, but I did find some brownie bites at BJ's and that is what I will use.  Here is our menu.  I post these as this blog is my memory, but it might inspire others.

Turkey
Smoked Ham
Brussels Sprouts Hash with caramelized shallots
Spiced Cranberry Sauce
Potato and Turnip Gratin

Spicy Pecan Pear Muffins
Sausage and Cornbread Dressing
Pumpkin Cheesecake (link above) (with a salted caramel sauce)
Maple Pecan Chocolate Tart

 I've posted a link to the Maple Pecan Chocolate Tart.  It is fabulous, and I've been making it for many years.  I'm pretty sure that the recipe came from Bon Appetit, but it is nowhere to be found on Epicurious. 

If you are traveling get there safely.  If you are cooking...godspeed and mind your fingers.


0 comments:

Post a Comment