Sourdough Waffles

I've found several recipes for sourdough waffles in my quest to have a way to use up unused sourdough starter.  I made a couple of modifications to this recipe from Serious Eats (http://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/01/bread-baking-sourdough-waffles-recipe.html#) to come up with my preferred preparation method.  In my method, I used both baking soda and baking powder and cut back on the salt. I should note that my method is not designed to maximize sourdough flavor, but rather to use sourdough castaway to feed new starter in an efficacious  crisp, light and  magnificently delicious waffle.  Also, I feel that anything north of 4 oz of butter/oil is unnecessary in a waffle.  This recipe uses 3 oz. which is perfect. (Same can be said for some biscuit recipes--as always feel free to modify to suit your family's preferences.)  I noted my modifications from the original recipe.

Leisa's Sourdough Starter Waffles

5 ounces all purpose flour (see note)
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda, modification from none
1/2 teaspoon salt, modification from 1
2 tablespoons sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
8 ounces (by weight) sourdough starter
3 tablespoons butter, melted

Combine dry ingredients in a batter bowl--whisk to incorporate evenly.  In a separate bowl (4 cup measure works well) add melted butter to milk and stir.  Add eggs to milk mixture and mix well.Add starter to milk/butter/egg mixture and mix well.  Make well in center of batter bowl and pour in wet ingredients.  Mix gently.  Transfer to plate (or wire rack if freezing).  Freeze uneaten waffles in a resealable freezer bag.  Reheat in toaster oven.

Note:  The original recipe calls for 1 cup of AP flour, but the weight of that is 4.25 not 5 oz per packaging and other sources.  Also, you can substitute flours to include whole wheat (I never do).  I also like to add 1 T replacement of AP flour for yellow or white cornmeal. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment