Appliance Repair | UGH!

It was appliance repair time in Leisa-land.  The dryer failed.  I looked up the schematic and bought 3 things that I thought would be the problem--most importantly the dryer element (which has failed in the past, and I gave it a 95% probability of being right).  I didn't want Mark to come home and say that it was not the element but rather the fuse.  Bought that, too, and a limit switch.  The latter two can be returned so long as they are not opened.

As it turned out it was the element.  When we opened the dryer there was the biggest fur ball that you have ever imagined. MASSIVE. MONSTROUS.  It looked like a Persian cat of large proportion was stuffed in every open area of the inside of the dryer. 

In the past (and most currently), I had cleaned out the dryer back vent, and a normal amount of stuff came out.  However the only way that amount of lint/fur/dirt could have blown back into the dryer had to be due to some sort of blockage.

In addition to my periodic cleaning of the venting assemble, I'm going to open the dryer up and ensure that it is clear.  I had to not only vaccum, but I had to reverse the nozzle and blow out entrapped hair.  (I donned a particle mask).  I even had to get a wooden skewer and pick out hair that had accumulated tightly in the motor.  Yes, it was turned off.

Part of our problem (aside from having too many animals), is that we have three 90-degree turns.  That makes for a long run.  Did you know that for each 90 degree bend, it adds 5 equivalent feet to your run? 

Checking your venting on your dryer is important. According to the NFPA


In 2010, an estimated 16,800 reported U.S. non-confined or confined home structure fires involving clothes dryers or washing machines (including combination washer/dryers) resulted in 51 civilian deaths, 380 civilian injuries, and $236 million in direct property damage.. . . In 2010, clothes dryers and washing machines accounted for 4.5% of all reported home structure fires, 1.9% of associated civilian deaths, 2.8% of associated civilian injuries, and 3.1% of associated direct property damage.

In our case, we could see that the lint/fur had entangled quite a few things, and was surrounding the heating element.  I'm not clear why we could not smell any singe-y smell while the dryer was operating.  It was a disaster waiting to happen.  Which brings me to my public service announcement to avoid being a statistic in 2016:

  1. Check your venting on your dryer frequently (monthly probably a good idea if you have shedding vermin as I do).
  2. Do not run your dryer while you are sleeping or while you are away.  No need to be crispy fried at night or crispy fry your inside pets when you are away.


We saved a some $$$'s not calling a repair person. Good thing, as I believe that I need a dryer booster.



0 comments:

Post a Comment