Foundation Paper Piecing | !!#$^!#%$^$&$^

My sewing and cursing phase when I began teaching myself how to quilt was blissfully short--largely due to the high quality content on the internet to instruct newcomers such as myself to this useful art form.

I've only purchased one quilt kit-Walkabout-- which was on sale for a ridiculously low price at Hancock's ($29.99).  I'll note that not all instructions (regardless of what you are trying to make) are good.  This quilt pattern, as well as another, Daisy Baby Quilt, which I regrettably tried to make as my first foray into quilting.  My sad little product gifted to someone who so appreciated it--flaws and all.  Our quilts say much about how to practice patience, compassion and gratitude!

The Walkabout had 6 blocks of paper pieced triangles.  Now paper piecing ought to be an easy thing--but it requires training your brain, your eyes and your hands to work differently.  It's worth having a go at it and get that training in.

My bots of cursing arose when I (1)  put the first piece of fabric right side to wrong side of template; (2) sliced off as "seam allowance" something that I had already sewn; (3) put the first piece of fabric wrong side of fabric to right side of template; (4) affixing second piece of fabric in some unmentionally stupid way so that when pressed out did not quite cover what was needed.

Yeah...all of these things seem subtly right but are stupendously wrong.  If you wish to try your hand and develop your work process skills and brain, hand and eye training, head on over to Generations Quilt Patterns  (a dtreasure trove of STUFF!!) where you can find FREE paper piecing patterns.  I might suggest that you try the 6" economy block (square in square in square) You can see a picture of it below.


This project offers a great way to build your skills.  If   you visit the page, you will get a pdf download as well as great instructions on what size fabric to cut so that you don't have any !@#$^%#%$^ moments where (a) things don't fit and/or (b) you are wasting alot of fabric.  I used this pattern to make 30 blocks of perfect square in squares with very little to no waste.  I did have a few cursing moments, and I'd like to share a few tips with you on how to avoid that.

First, have the right tools.

  1. Ruler:  It will save you LOTS of frustration and increase you speed if you spring for a 6&12" "Add a Quarter" ruler combo.  You will not look back.  Sure, you can use your 1/4' rulers, but it will slip and slide...don't cause yourself more frustration than necessary.
  2. Thin Straight Edge:  I've seen folks use card stock, etc.  I had my Dritz Easy Hem from way back when (30 years).  It is a thin stainless steel tool used for marking straight and rounded hems.  It works beautifully on your foundation template for folding back the foundation. to trim your seams to a perfect quarter inch when used with the Add a Quarter ruler.  Stron, then and makes for a sharp crease....what's not to love?  It is also inexpensive.
  3. Template Paper:  There are lots of expensive templates out there.  I bought 500 sheets of 8.5 x 11" newsprint on Amazon for $6.09.  It will run through your printer for downloaded designs, is easy to sew on and tear away...as well as being oh-so-economical.
Second, practice.  What I love about the Generations guide, is that it created a perfect block with minimium wastage.  No special templates, just cut the squares in the prescribed size, cut on diagonals to make the two layers of surrounding triangles.

I used glue to affix the first piece.  While many advocate using a glue stick, I used my Elmer's washable liquid.  I affixed and pressed into place.  I'd rather glue than pin.  Accordingly, I glued each piece on the the straight edges.  It takes only a second, and nothing is going to shift.  It also makes it easy to production piece.  Everything stays put, and you will not prick yourself on errant pins.

While I see that most demonstrations are for finger pressing--I press with my iron. It's a preference, which is what is developed by practicing techiniques and utilizing tools that make sense for each of us to increase the utility and enjoyment of your time spent doing anything.

I had some layer cake fabric that I liked when I bought it but not so much in trying to use it.  I had made some hour glass units.  I elected to use ths fabric in making my practice blocks.  I then had a new appreciation for how the fabrics could work together.

I have 30 of these in various configurations that I'll find some use for.  But in the meantime, I was able to sharpen my skills and tackle this technique.  Thank you Generations Quilt Patterns for being such a great resource.

P. S.  If you have 5" charm packs you can use these to make this block which is also the perfect size for a snack mat--just add batting and backing.  I put batting on the bottom and the backing face down on the top.  Sew 1/4" and leave opening to turn inside out.  Clip corners and turn.  Top stitch 1/8" from each side.  I find a walking foot helpfult.  Quilt using your preferred design, or simply stitch in the ditch.




0 comments:

Post a Comment