My Quilting Journey...Year End Thoughts and Favorite Things I Use

I've been an infrequent Blogger of late.  I started blogging in 2006 (in another venue), and I felt like I had much to write about (and I did).  As the year closes, and I look at my infrequent entries, I remember my prior habit of getting up very early and writing.

Jose Ortega Y Gasset stated that writing is the policeman of the mind.....writing requires you to organize the jumble of concepts banging around in your head and get it into a communicable form.  Grant some communicate better than others....and I'll use 10 words at time when a little concision editing could pare it down to 5!  My quilting journey, is offering some content for my writing.  I write mainly for myself, and you'd be surprised how often I use the powerful indexing of Blogger to recall stuff.

In thse last 6 months, I've amassed much fabric  (I shop exclusively clearance fabrics) and many tools.  I wanted to highlight a few (not all)  tolls and such that I'm REALLY GLAD that I have. (Note I have no disclaimers as I'm not affilitiated with any links)

  • Creative Grids Stripology Ruler XL--It was $60ish dollars, but it is a workhorse for creating accurate strip cutting.  It is high quality, smartly marked, easy to use, and it does not shift.  I would not part with it.
  • Ruler Caddy--No, I didn't buy one!  But there are many dish racks that are perfect for storing your rulers.  I found a plastic slotted base with a microfiber drainer.  WEll, the slotted base perfectly holds my rulers and the microfiber trainer is a great block mat.  Lots of great repurposed items can be found at Thrift Stores to help with storage needs for fabric and tools.
  • Havel's Seam Ripper:  This seam ripper is amazing.  It looks like a miniature scythe, and it quickly and easily undo's mistakes.  Use a regular seam ripper to pull out the back thread in a continuous piece.
  • Add a Quarter rulers:  I have all 3 sizes (6, 12, 18").These tools make foundation piecing a breeze.
  • Newsprint:  If you are foundation piecing, a 500 count of newsprint will allow you to print your foundations off.
  • Freshly Pieced, Half Square Triangle Templates. This pdf is purchased, but once you download, you have forever. It makes HST's a breeze with great accuracy and convenience.  It's a huge timesaver--but it does require that you use larger pieces of fabric v. other methods that are more scrap friendly.  I print out on newsprint on my printer and it is wonderful.
  • Spring loaded thread snips:  You can find these on Amazon.  They are inexpensive and effective.  I keep a pair around my neck.  Though be careful...they are very sharp so don't bend over around children or pets.  And if you are not careful you'll poke the top of your thighs when you are sitting with shorts on.
  • Creative Grids Folded Corner clipping tool: I have found this to be a very effective tool for clipping corners PRIOR to sewing. I've linked the video.  You can use an existing triangle ruler, but these markings allow for more simply marked cutting which saves time.  I use this for binding strips and other blocks that use a sew and flip method. 
  • Rulers in General:  I have several rulers, and I've had good luck buying used rulers.  Rulers are a preferential thing.  I still have my Olipfa ruler from 30 years ago (and my original rotary cutter).  I use the 2 ruler method for working with fabric.  I'm always working from the right.  I use one ruler to measure the right hand area of the fabric (the measure) and I cut against the ruler on the left.  I find it saves me time and improves my accuracy.  I recently purchased, but have not received, a 24" and 14" Quilter's Slidelock ruler.  My Olipfa ruler seems to want to shift (even with grips and a weight!).    There are many, many specialty rulers out there, the markings can make or break your intended use.  For example, triangle rulers!
  • Cutting tools:  I had my original 45mm Olfa rotary cutter which is 30 years old and going strong.  I bought a 60mm rotary cutter that automatically retracts when the grip is released.  I cannot recommend highly enough.  I keep this at my cutting table and my 45mm by my sewing table.
  • Pressing Surface:  The wool mats really are "all that".  I bought one inexpensively in a 48 x 24" dimension.  I upholstered it to a 5/8" plywood board using a Linen Cotton cover.  It works very very well.  I set it on top of a same sized bamboo 2 tiered bookcase and it is right by my sewing table. It is a huge time saver.
 Those are a few I most favorite (and oft-used things).  Now that I have all the tools that I needs, as 2020 unfolds, I want to systemmatically increase my skills to learn new techniques.   I will also post pics of my finished quilts here to give me a history of what I've done.

0 comments:

Post a Comment