Sparkle Magic Shine Quilt Panel

In this post I outlined a method for making the diamond windows used in the Daisy Baby Quilt.  That method allows you to use strip piecing of 2.5" strips.

I applied that method to some 2.5" strips that I had purchased from Tuesday Morning.  They have some great finds, but selection is limited. They have several coordinated fat quarter bundles, yardage (in 1 yd increments) and 5" squares and 2.5" strips as mentioned.

One package of strips coordinated with the 5" squares (though I did not use them in that project).  However, I wanted to used my strip piecing method to see how quickly I could make 30 pieces.  It was pretty quick using the strip sets combined with the continuous sashing method explained in that post.

I also mentioned in that post that I thought the diamond window blocks would worked well as borders.  As I made my vibrantly-colored diamond window block, I realized that it would go quite nicely with the Sparkle Maioc Shine Quilt panel that I had purchased from Hancock's of Paducah.  (I actually have MANY of these panels that I thought I would make for charity/other projects).

Sparkle Magic Shine Quilt Panel with diamond window border panels
I think that it looks quite cute.  I had planned to add another border but passed after piecing the quilt top.  I had to add a 1.75" coping strip to the top and bottom of the panel so that it would line up with the border panels.  I will piece the back from some of the companion fabrics.  I'll use the repeat in the fabric below for the middle of the back and use other fabrics in the collection as strips to make a complete back.  That methods will ensure that I capture the wonderful messaging.


The top and bottom strip will be white fabric so that I can oversize the back for quilting.

To make the diamond window side borders, I had to use 2 corner setting triangles for the top and bottom diamond window on each side.  The rest of the white triangles are side setting triangles. For the most part, it went together pretty well.  I glue-basted to keep my points where they needed to be.

0 comments:

Post a Comment