Play Quilt Using Jack in the Box, Colorado Beauty and Square in Square.

 One of my dearest friends has a grandaughter (son's daughter) who lives in South Korea.  Her son married a beautiful South Korean Native.  After living here for some time, they elected to return to Nomi's birth place.  I'm sure her parents are enjoying being with their grandaughter who they did not get to see for some time prior to her returning. 

Jane turns five this year.  I was not quilting when she was born.  However, I wanted to make a 'play quilt'.  It is 46" x 46".  It is large I enough to have a tea party or cuddle while reading a book.  Putting some borders on the quilt could easily add to the size.

I acquired the fabric on close out.  It was part of the "Save Yourself" collection by  Dear Stella. (My preference is to find fabric on discount and then figure out what to do with it! Here's the back of the quilt.The pattern evolved around made blocks plus material on hand and trying to hit at an objective of incorporating it all into a finished quilt.  In this case,  I wanted to use the Jack in the Box blocks that I couldn't quite make work in a front of the quilt design.  The dragon and castle fabric was directional...I didn't have enough so I pieced it in.  My center is off a bit, but I don't nitpick that anymore.  The top row of the back was pieced using a 45 degree seam.  It is imperceptible to the eye, but now that I tolk you you could probably find it.  In retrospect, I would have pieced the other two rows of same fabric and just made a bottom row....but I had lost, then found another piece after I committed to the pink fabric frames.



Here's the front of the quilt.  I really like how it turned out.  I was able to use all of the floral fabric.


The larger block is a Colorado Beauty  It is one flying goose unit and one rectangular unit using stitch and flip.  Because I went "gun-ho" and made a bunch of flying geese units, part of my square in square units are 2 flying geese sewn bases together.  The balance are square in square which I paper pieced which is my preferred method for this block.

With the 5.5" unit, I created a 4-patch. I used sashing around the center quad of Colorado Beauty blocks.  

I love the retro look of this quilt.  I quilted simply using wavy lines in one direction.  It is fast and looks nice.




0 comments:

Post a Comment