Fabric Postcards

 


I stumbled upon this great video from, Krebsbachhuber Crafts.  I was inspired to create my own postcards.  This post is not a how to, but rather how I went about it.

 

First, be sure to consult with the post office regs.  You can upsize from "postcard" size, and enjoy a favorable rate (letter), though you may have to use the non-machinable stamp. You can find the regs here and summarized below:

You may think that your mailpiece is a "postcard," because it is a single sheet of paper. But to qualify for mailing at the First-Class Mail postcard price, it must be:

  • Rectangular
  • At least 3-1/2 inches high x 5 inches long x 0.007 inch thick
  • No more than 4-1/4 inches high x 6 inches long x 0.016 inches thick

If your mailpiece does not meet the dimensions above, then the Postal Service considers it a letter and letter-size postage is charged. With USPS Marketing Mail, there is a little more flexibility -- there is no separate (lower) price for postcards, so you don't have to worry about your postcard being too big -- because you're paying letter prices anyway. But make sure that your postcard is no larger than 6-1/8" x 11-1/2" x 1/4" thick. Mailpieces larger than any of those dimensions and you'll have to pay flats (large envelope) postage prices.

 

 

There are 4 layers

  1. Background fabric
  2. Foreground fabric (your design)
  3. Design foundation (fusible or non)  I used Peltex non fusible that I bought in bulk.
    • I conclude that you can simply use batting and put it on your card stock and have acceptable rigidity.
  4. Card foundation :  I used 4 x 6 card stock 100lb wt

If you are doing a fabric collage then 1 + 2 are the same.

You need adhesion. I have both Mistyfuse and Heat n Bond lite.

  • fusible 'stuff' of your choice for your foreground fabric so that it will adhere to your background fabric. 
  • Fusible 'stuff' for adhering your finished fused piece to the foundation--as well as manage fraying.  

Here's my project:  I was experimenting with this technique.  In this project, there is no applique, just a not-so-fussy cut image with I had a fat quarter with this interesting design (which I poorly centered!), and then I simply sewed strips of fabric to get to my 6" width.  I attached HeatNBond lite to the back and then fused it to Peltex. I used some rayon thread and decorative stitches over the joins. I then finished with a decorative stitch once I lined up the cardstock to the back. I did not fuse or adhere the card stock (but I did with others with no difference noted)

 

Postcard Front

 

 

 Back

The stitching make a pretty frame on the back of the card.  The entire using was flat, rigid and secure.

This small project has many benefits:

  • experiment with decorative threads and stitches
  • use up scraps
  • have a small, finite project for instant gratifications without a large time expenditure
  • brighten up a recipient's day

Probably safest to send with a "non machinable stamp":  .75 at the time of this post.  A first class stamp coupled with an additional ounce stamp would get you there too.



0 comments:

Post a Comment