D-I-Y Gone Awry

Last Friday, I was informed that I had two accepted offers on foreclosed property.  My stomach was clinched as I have a current project, and now two more homes!   Here is the home that I had an offer on and am terminating today.

At first view/evaluation, the interior had some issues--I could see the unskilled DIY hand.  Crappy-finished drywall, cheap finish choices, poorly designed bathrooms, ill-fitting kitchen countertop. I felt that I could upgrade the choices and fix the issues (which I could).  However, it was the 'soft white underbelly' of this house provided the deal's downfall.

The beautiful decking that provided lovely views of the pond was basically unsupported.  Underneath the house we found ghastly things:  extensive rot on the decking boards and insufficiently supported posts; an insufficient electrical panel that had a tap off; a 4 foot section of the foundation that had been cut away; a fireplace that was sinking and pulling the main floor with it (which explains the tilting kitchen counterotp)--and ill-fated (and a frightful site to behold) attempts underneath the house to support it. We opened the door, viewed the carnage and literally ran away screaming.  The house is literally rotting away, and potentially sliding down the hill.  Someone will buy this house to be sure.  There's a reason for a "buyer beware" warning, and this house more than any other I have seen warrants that label.

None of the 500+ sqf of decking was salvageable--and even more unfortunate, there is a part of the house that sits on the deck; the foundation had been rendered unsound, and there was another large rotting structure that was supposed to be a barn--and would have been a magnificent one--had it been made soundly.  An example of  structures that were undermined by over-zealous and under-killed DIY efforts in addition to inappropriate materials.  There is a reason why decks are made from salt treated lumber.  We couldn't even fathom a value for the work required to halt the demise of this house, but that scope of work (likely requiring a site engineer) is more than I want to tackle.  The setting is so splendid; such a shame.  There was also a large barn on the property that was suffering from serial rot from the use of substandard building materials.

I'm in the inspection period of another home.  It is in a highly desirable neighborhood and has a terrific floor plan; however, it has a need for extensive updating inside.  It has Masonite siding--some of which has to be replaced due to rot.  Carpet needs to be replaced, and it needs fresh painting throughout.  Kitchen cabinets are a mess---I've seen these placed in other homes, and they do not wear well.    Bathrooms need some updating.  Waiting for the utilities to be turned on to do inspection.

Quality lasts; cheap shit...well, it is just cheap shit!  I'm grateful that when we built our own home we opted for quality rather than initial size.  Now I have a house that is far bigger than what I need as we added on.  Nevertheless, we did things the right way, and we have maintained it reasonably well.  But the wood floors need refinishing, and some paint would freshen some things up.  However, even if we didn't do those things, our home is in far better shape than most that I go look at. 



0 comments:

Post a Comment