Lemoyne Flower---Lemoyne Sew and Flip Gone Awry

I went to bed still wondering why my Lemoyne Star blocks using method 1 (traditional) v. method 2 (stitch and flip) came out differently sized...by 1/2 inch.  This a.m.  I went to work sans caffeine applying the stitch and flip method for constructing a Lemoyne Star.  The picture below is NOT a Lemoyne star, but rather a happy accident.  I christen it "Lemoyne Flower".

I got confused when applying the HST to the rectangle.  I put it on the wrong side (the flipped side, not the pointy).  Well looky, looky! This is what I got...something more resembling a flower than a star.  Accordingly we have the birth of the Lemoyne flower.

More on the stitch and flip....The stitch and flip method that McCalls demonstrates wastes far too much fabric.  However, by substituting
a half square triangle for the rectangle they use (on both pieces that are to be joined) one greatly reduces the waste with no compromise in accuracy.

This block contains the following components:

(6) Rectangles measuring 5.5" x 2 3/8" rectangles (floral) in your choice of fabrics and placement.

(8) HST Triangles made from 3 3/8" squares cut on one diagonal
(6)  2 3/8" squares and putting a clipped corner (or sew and flip) by affixing a 2 3/8" x 2 3/8" square.  Sewing on the diagonal and clipping at 1/4" seam allowance.  I use my Creative Grids Corner Clipping tool which I adore.

I'll create some better instructions at another point in time.  I've spent far too much time on this already.....

Below is another variation of the block.  You can immediately see how swapping out fabric choices for various elements would provide some interesting possibilities. Further, deepening the stitch and flip on the rectangle would also provide some visual interest. 




Using rectangles, squares and HST's makes this block VERY quick to sew.  However, care must be taken as there is bias, and there are a lot of seams. Accordingly, careful cutting, stitching and pressing are important.

Now that I perfected my crafting of THIS block...I did a timed study.  From start to finish, it took me 1 hour to make an entire block.  That included my pressing and cutting the fabric.  Starching, glue basting and sewing.  Obviously, if you were making many blocks, you would have economies of scale..  Nevertheless, I was happy with this

0 comments:

Post a Comment