Lemoyne @!%&%$& Star

I was crowing about my Lemoyne star block skill builder.  However, today, when I actually squared the block up, I realized I had some more learnin' and practicing to do.  Not all of the points quite made it to their final resting spot 1/4" from the outside of the squared block...or they overshot a wee bit and will be caught in seam allowance.

I spent all of today working on the alternative methods that I mentioned in my prior post.  I was trying to meld what I had computed for the regular way and adapt the measurements to create a quarter square triangle and a half square triangle to split corner squares and the center triangles in two with a seam.  That method uses no y seams, but adds quite a bit more seaming to your block. 

In adopting this method, my 9" star that I had completed using the traditional method became a 10" block.  I will futz about to figure out why.  Everything fit together fine, I just don't know how it grew by 1" particularly when the width of my starting strip for the diamond was unchanged.

I'm sure it will come to me, and my brain is chewing on the problem like a dog with a bone.  But I'm too weary to worry further today on it.  I did go through lots of learning and problem solving that was resurrecting old stuff from decades ago.

I'm stepping away and letting the brain sublimate on the problem.

0 comments:

Post a Comment