Ella: My Little Setter

 Ella in the Snow 2014
Early Friday (03/20/20), in the early hours of the morning, I had to make the difficult decision of euthanizing my English Setter, Ella.  As a rescue, she was an 'uncertain' age.  When I adopted her in 2008, the papers said 3-4, but she looked, both in body morphology and dental, to be 18 mos to 24 mos as my vet and I agreed.  So I know for sure that she was in my possession from November 1, 2008 until March 20, 2020.

Over these 11.5 years she was a devoted companion.  Unlike most English Setters, she was content to be a biscuit hunter and a couch potato.  She was a tri color setter and diminutive, what some call a "Pocket Setter".  Seeing her walk about the property was like seeing Lucy's ghost as they were nearly identical in color, though different morphology.

My original Setters, were Lucy and Greta.  Greta was a beautiful orange and white Setter.  In July of 2007, she was diagnosed with bladder cancer after presenting signs of a urinary tract infection.  When treatment for the UTI did not relieve the symptoms, they tried to culture her urine.  That did not work.

Both Lucy and Greta died within 6 months of each other in 2007.  On my birthday in August, I got Daisey.  A year later on Halloween, I got Ella.  I made the mistake of looking at English Setters on Pet Finder and there she was, the spitting image of Lucy.  Mark and I traveled to Dillsboro TN--a beautiful 435 mile drive.  The English Setter Rescue, for whom I had volunteered for as a driver, offered to set up a relay.  But it promised to be a lovely drive, and it did not disappoint. 

Southern Living listed Lulu's as a great restaurant in Dillsboro's sister city, Sylva.  It was Halloween, and we were hungry from our trip.  In this quaint little Mayberry-like town, the Trick-or-Treaters were going from business to business.  Also, the community center nearby was hosting an event.  I managed to get to a used bookstore and left with an armful of treasures.  Sylva is at the hard of Western Carolina University, and used bookstores in a college town are a treasure trove.

The next morning, I was to meet Mary from the Jackson Humane.  In addition to taking Ella into our home, we had agreed to give Sugar, a Border Collie/Akita (yes!) mix a ride back for the Border Collie Rescue in our area.  Ella ran to me as if I were her long lost friend.  She didn't even know who I was, but she bounded toward me.  Mary told me that Ella was one of the sweetest dogs that she had ever fostered--so docile that she agree to let a litter of Chihuahuas or Dachshunds (I don't remember which) treat her as a bed.

Now fast forward 11 years.  Last June Ella presented same symptoms.  We went through the same treatment.  Having gone through this with Greta, I suggested a culture after the first treatment failed.  I was called with the results..."the good news is that we couldn't grow a culture."  I then said, "Well, the bad news is that if she is still having these issues, she has bladder cancer."  I didn't go to vet school, and that should have been the very next thing out of the vet's mouth...not mine. 

The median lifespan of diagnosed bladder cancer in dogs is 6 months.  Ella made it 9, and with the exception of frequent urination, she was happy and comfortable.  She was on Gabopectin for pain management. 

But Friday, her demeanor changed markedly.  She seemed uncomfortable. Later, in her nighttime urination, she was presented with breathing heavily without respite.   At 3 a.m. I loaded her up and we went to the emergency vet.  This would now be the 3rd euthanasia in the wee hours that they have done for me.

With the Covid-19 alerts, they were not allowing clients in.  You were to stay in your car, they would come out, get your pet, do the intake (presumably over the phone), and perform necessary procedures.  As I was euthanizing, they first asked appropriate screening questions over the phone.  They came out in protective gear with protective gear for me.  I was able to be with Ella when she transitioned.

English Setters have a very low prevalence of bladder cancer...2% or less.  That I had 50% of my Setter demised with this condition is rare.  We use no pesticides, and I'm don't put a lot of pesticides on my dogs. 

I'm now down to two dogs...one of which Daisey, is my last Setter.  She is 15, and she is not likely to see the year through, but she is pain free, and very mobile.  Dexter, our foundling pit bull boy, was very close to Ella.  He was the only dog that we have ever had that never try to make Ella be submissive.  Daisey on the other hand....constantly displaying dominance.  Dexter has been looking for Ella.  I should have let him see her body before we buried it as we typically do.  If you have multiple dogs, and you are in Stephen King Pet Sematary mode as we are here, then I suggest that you consider doing the same. 

My sweet Ella was a precious companion.  We gave her a good home, and she gave as much to us through her sweet personality.  I made a contribution to the Jackson Humane Society in honor of my beloved girl.  I will cherish her memory.

0 comments:

Post a Comment