Esteban

 

Today at 11:00 a.m. we have a chance to meet Esteban.  He is a almost 2ish pit bull at the Richmond Animal League--an animal shelter that we have supported in the past.  (Really good friends of ours have a Holiday part and RAL has been an receiving charity for donations). 

He is currently in foster care.  He has been receiving training to curb his overexuberance.  The foster was very forthcoming about his behavior--none of which was disturbing to us.  He is not dog aggressive, but he has some impulse control issue with humans--but not through aggression but through excitement.  We spent about 4 months working with Dexter on his exuberance issues.  Once we got him to control his excitement, we never had any troubles.  

If I were going to pick up a pot of gold, I could be no less excited.  We are unable to bring him home because the adoption coordinator is out of town.  I guess, too, it is possible that something untoward may happen.  Apparently Esteban has been returned after being adopted at least twice.  I trust the foster/dog trainer's assessment that his behavior though inappropriate, not aggressively-rooted.  I'm confident that if we survived Dexter's first months we can deal with anything.

I remember that Daisey had been adopted and returned to the shelter because she dug in the yard.  To the day that she died, she was a digger...but only by the house and only for a cool place to lay. She was the type of dog that would run so hard that her giant tongue hung out the side of her mouth.  It was not a behavior that I would ever consider return-worthy.  

One of the questions on the questionnaire was under what circumstances would you rehome a dog.  My answer was if something catastrophic happened to us that would cause us to be unable to care for an animal.

So I'm not sure what 11 a.m. will bring, but I'm really excited to meet this fella and I hope that he will feel the same for us.




0 comments:

Post a Comment