No More Adventures with Dexter or Days with Daisey

 


On Friday, I euthanized Dexter.  Dexter came into our life on 07/27/2014--a sweltering July Virginia day having been dumped on a rural back road.  My husband happened to be traveling that back road on the way to Home Depot.

He noticed a car ahead flashing headlights and noticed this desperate dog trying to reunite with a person...any person.  Mark was concerned that this dog would get hit.  He pulled over and opened his truck door.  Dexter hurled himself into the cab.  He called me to tell me what happened, and I said bring him home.

At home we had three dogs already.  We brought Dexter inside to give him some water and food.  I noticed bloody paw prints on my floor.  I examined his feet.  Every pad had was raw some just hanging--running on a hot road. 

I took him to the vet the next day to get checked out--to see if he had a chip and to get rabies and have his feet looked at.  He was dirty, but in good health.  He was intact.  He had a stain around his neck that appeared to be from a heavy leather collar.  He was collarless when we found him.

Dexter brought alot of energy and excitement...the old dogs perked up, and Mark had a new best friend.  However, this dog had no socialization. We could not handle him because he would do the typical puppy mouthing to show affection..but he had jaws like well JAWS!  

It took about 4 months for us to get him settled enough where he could sit with us without biting on us to show his gratitude and affection.  And yes, he did make his way into our bed. Until then, I kept him chained to a piece of furniture or banister post when we were not home.  He had a comfortable bed and water, but couldn't get into wrestling matches with his sissies (2 English Setter and an American Bulldog).  He did chew the corner of a window sill.

He learned basic manners, and I spent alot of time with him on a lead. Though Dexter was not mean to his sisters, he would take all other comers.  We had a 3 board fence around our property, but we wrapped it in farm fence wire to ensure that he would not squeeze out through the boards and none could squeeze in through the boards.  We did the same on the farm gates--always kept closed.  We took all precautions necessary.  But the weak link is the gate.

 

About 3 weeks ago, I had to euthanize Daisey.  She was the last of Dexter's sissies. (all of them had been "my dogs" ). I had Daisey for 14 years and she was 3-4 when I got her--She was a rescue so hard to know exact age.  So she was 17-18 ..the oldest dog I've ever had.  The picture was taken in 2016..so she was 11 or so then.  She had basically stopped eating...but was pretty mobile, until one morning she couldn't get up. I knew that was the day.  So on 04/12/2021, Dexter was an only dog...and he clearly was affected by the passing of his last sissie.  Me too as that was the last canine that considered me her master.

Fast forward to 05/31/2021. In a moment of oversight, my husband who had passed through that gate forgot to latch it.  Dexter passed through and attacked my neighbor's dog--a 10 lb mixed cutie-pie named Sadie.  My neighbor, Tim, was able to intercede: a moment later and that intercession would have been for not.  She is recovering from punctured tissue wounds.  Thankfully no bones broken or organs damaged. Naturally we are paying for her vet charges.

So my countup timer, Days with Dexter stopped as of Friday:  2504 days.    My countup timer for feeding homemade dog food stopped as well.  We had Dexter euthanized.  It is a law of probabilities.  In all of that time, if the gate is not closed, 100% of the time there will be a breach.  And the probabilities beyond that are not good.  My husband is just sick for the pain that he has caused to Tim's family and their beloved pet as well as contributing to the loss of a dog was his constant companion.  But I reminded him that such things are called accidents for a reason.  Accidents happen (as my favorite bumper sticker "Shit Happens" (and "Mean People Suck")--and the consequences can be minor to devastating.  This incident is in the middle.

Dexter was not aggressive towards humans.  Had he been, we would have euthanized him upon finding out.  He loved everyone--everyone he met was a new friend.  And when any left the property, he would cry like a scalded dog--no doubt a residual from being dumped. But he was an alpha male, and any creature other than his sisters that was on the property (or out) was fair game.

Though a an agonizing decision to make; it was the right one.  We are still reeling from the loss. We are grateful that sweet Sadie will recover.  We provided Dexter with a safe and loving home.

One of my fondest remembrances of Dexter is this.  My English Setter Ella was always the submissive dog.  Daisey (ES) would always dominate her.  Angel, the AmBull, would ignore her.  Dexter, though was the only dog that would show her respect.  He would play with her, and never forced her to submit.  They would do this funny mock play where they both would make these crazy noises.  He gave Ella her self respect.

So since Friday, the gate can be open.  I have no dogs--and I've had a dog for 52 of my 60 years.  So it feels very weird.  He came into our life.  We gave him the best home that any could have given him. He had a family who loved him; canine sisters to keep him company; a master who he adored and adored him in turn; an acre and a half yard to enjoy.  He made a bad choice (attacking Sadie) when an opportunity arose (accidental gate opening) and he suffered the ultimate and correct consequence.


0 comments:

Post a Comment