Wren Family Robinson

 If you have a backyard and take the time to notice, parents have to work as hard after the nestlings have fledged as they did prior.  Why?  The fledglings are bigger, mobile and incessantly begging for food.  (You will see them all a'quiver with beaks open). 

Late in the day, I put out some mealworms.  My colony is going on its 4th year.  My year round customers know to listen for the door to open.  I also whistle.  Well within 30 seconds of the whistle, the entire gang of the Carolina Wrens (who I affectionately call "The WRen Family Robinson") converged on the deck.  Prior to that, the fledglings were under cover.  Wrens are terrestrial  birds and low shrubs and overgrowth is where they seek protection.

There was also a molting male cardinal.  As summer wanes and insects get less plentiful, the mealworms and suet are my avian feast staples.

I also spied the Chipping Sparrow who seemed to have some peeping cheeping fledglings crowding it.

All a wonder to watch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment