LeMoyne Star | Incorporating my blocks into a quilt

 

Above is my design wall.  It is such a handy thing.   In my LeMoyne star odyssey I made many blocks. The larger blocks are suppose to be 11" finished blocks.  Mine ended up at 11" trimmed.  And there was no spare 1/2".  That result is what led me on my journey.

I also made smaller stars to finish at 6.5"   Now that I upsize my insets slightly, my blocks finish just as they should:  right size and square!

I was trying to figure out how I would set the quilt.  The design wall for the spatially challenged helps in organizing and orienting blocks.  The idea of this quilt is to give it to a person close to my daughter who will be undertaking a difficult treatment.  In one of my Hancock's Mystery Print Grab bags, there was a yard of the pink ribbon fabric.  

I used the fabric as part of the star. Yes, I knew that it was not the best contrast with the white, but I consciously forged ahead.  Given that I was "practicing" (albeit not so perfectly at times), I wanted to make use of the blocks.  There are several blocks that didn't make it up on the wall.  They will be used in a "scrap" bag. 

Hancock's of Paducah had "Alfie" by Este Macleod on sale. I bought 2 fat quarter bundles as they were both beautiful and a tremendous value. It came as I was noodling on what to do with the smaller stars and the overall layout.

One step at a time.

I made a test block of framing the smaller star to up-size it to the larger blocks.  I liked it very much. It provides a cheerful frame and breaks up the white.  All of the colors in this block are reflected in the fabric.


I'm unsure if I am going to do an on point layout or straight.  I will determine once I have all of the blocks up.  For my earlier trials on the blocks, I can see disappearing points--and will see those again when the large blocks get sewn in.  I have no shame for that.  Framing a less-than-perfect block puts a lot of things right.

You can also see that diamond rectangle on the lower left.  I thought I might do a sashing/border of that.

For now, it is filling out the board.  I want to use up all of the ribbon fabric.  This process is organic for me...I'm working with what I have (fabric), building a skill (!#$!&%& traditionally pieced LeMoyne Star) and like grits, slapping it up on the wall and see what sticks.




0 comments:

Post a Comment