Modified Betwixt | Block Engineering

 


In making my test block for this block, I  found that the corner units which as configured are  2 HST's and one folded corner unit were too bulky.

View the picture below.  The unit on the left has the original configuration (2 HST's and one folded corner unit)  I modified the construction by using 1 HST and 2- 2" squares cut with folded corner to create the right hand unit. I used a 2" strip and cut with my folded corner ruler v. making a 2" square which creates too much waste.

 I simply sewed the two folded corner squares (these are squares that are cut with the seam allowance so they are fatter than an HST by the amount of the 1/4 seam allowance.) As the unit is 3" finished, I cut a 3.5" strip and used my folded corner ruler to cut the white HST.  I sewed the 2 units together and trimmed down.  You can see that the unit on the right is much "cleaner".  It lays flat as it has one less seam.  Me likey.

This block is challenging, and it is a reminder that I will never undertake a postage stamp quilt.  The unit above has 1.25" finished HST.  That's small.  

The easiest way to cut these pieces was to cut a 2" strip. I worked from the right to the left, using two rulers. The first cut is on the right to cut the folded corner...basically it cuts a square with the included seam allowance.  Notice the bottom right hand corner.  The cut line is 1/4" above the bottom.


Once the right hand cut is made, the folded corner ruler is removed and the left ruler is the straight edge.  It is quite quick using this method and working from right to left.  Yes, there is a small amount of waste working this way.   When working with such a small size, it is not usable for anything I want to deal with.  I cut these 4 at a time. No waste can be achieved by simply make a straight cut first to true up end, make angled second cut on the left (use a helper ruler so you don't have to turn fabric), and turning the ruler around to line up on the diagonal. However,  the sharp corner needs a trim.  I like the trimmed off dog ears for this unit because it allows me to assemble the full unit easier.  See how nicely each of these will fit?

These units fit beautifully for my corner unit re-engineering.  I am very pleased.

Below is my QST with the Paisley Palette and Kona Snow. I made these with the Magic 8 method for HST's.   Spinning your seams on the reverse will allow the block to lay flatter.  I have to repress mine for that effect.


Spin your seams for nice, flat block




0 comments:

Post a Comment