More on Kaleidoscope Blocks | Traditional

 In this post I discussed the traditional Kaleidoscope Block.  Like the Storm at Sea quilt, the block layout creates the illusion of curves where there are none.


 The layout above is simply a 2 color pattern that has the kaleido middle of the block mirrored.  In one block it is in the 1, 3, 6, 9  (top middle start) position and in the other it is at the 2, 4, 6, 8 position (even/odd numbers).

It's quite a pretty quilt without mussing and fussing with much else.  

My next quilt will be a kaleido.  I have ordered a book by Marti Michell.  I did experiment with the making of these blocks in Eq8.  I was able to duplicate a pattern that I was (exercising block detective skills).  The point of doing that was not to plagiarize, but rather to exercise my skills in (1) understanding how to draw the block in EQ8 and (2) being a block detective.

Would you like a coloring sheet to try you own hand at this?  You can download a PDF here.

Study the image below...see how color placement creates the beautiful patterns.  Yes, this looks much like Edyta Sitar's Alaska Quilt.  I used that example as a case study to understand the construction and the coloring of the quilt block and the quilt. (There are several errors in it). 


Of course there are several compound kaleido blocks as shown below. Deb Tucker would call this a wedge star. Until I started exploring this block, I would have never made the connection.

Controlling color in each of the pieces, to include the intersects, as well as the use of  negative space provides endless possibilities with one block. 

Star quilts and consequently star blocks are my personal favorite.

0 comments:

Post a Comment