Modified Betwixt -1

 My first step in making the Modified Betwixt Quilt is to make the 9 patch center blocks for Block 1.  I elected to go with just the gold and blue.

The importance of doing test blocks cannot be overstated.  I opted to make my 9 patches using the strip piecing method.  The strips are cut at 1.5" and then sewn in dark, light, dark strip set and light, dark, light strip sets.  Here's where you need to test your 1/4" seam to determine how scant it needs to be with your choice of fabric and thread.  I sewed my normal scant, and I ended up with a wee bit wide finish by about 1/8" of an inch.  With 1" finished blocks inside your 9 patch, there's not so much fudging room.  I was able to make it work.

When working with strip sets, it is very important to press well to (1) not have any folds in your fabric and (2) to press straight so that the strip set does not get wonky.  I press and starch.

When I sewed my 9 patches, I spun the seams as you would in a 4 patch.  (I'll include a pic later). See pic below. It helped make the block lie nice and flat. 

 

 Here's the fornt of the block.  I just love these colors together!


I'm really loving my fabric choices.  These are both fabrics that I bought at deep discount, and they go marvelously together.  I am using Kona Snow as my background fabric.  It is a creamy soft white--rather belies the name.  You think of snow as being quite bright.  It's worth it to get whites, grays and offwhites in several colorways so that you can keep swatches and know the tonal quality against your planned fabrics.

I pl
an to gift this quilt to my son.

0 comments:

Post a Comment