Flutterby Quilt Top Finished

 

I have finished my Flutterby Quilt top.  I moved it on my KanbanFlow board to "Quilt Sandwich".

I wanted to codify my learnings through the above video and a few comments here.

As an aside, I ran across "Split Personality"designed by Jackie O'Brien of Studio 180.  Below is the quilt pattern:


It is similar in its coupling of 4 patch with split rectangles, with a different use of colorways.  Another reminder on how the use of color and color values can create strikingly different results...but of course you knew that.

My quilt is 81 x 81 square...larger than I typically make. If I were to make this again, I would make my blocks 1/3 smaller....6" v. 9" finished.  And I would make the quilt commensurately smaller too. Here's the block/piece count at a 9":


Am I sorry that I used a 9" block for this size quilt?  No! Had I made this at 6" blocks (1/3 smaller), I would have used 1/2 as many pieces...or 1361

You see, then, why I am tenacious in finding time saving ways to execute my quilt blocks in terms of cutting, piecing and trimming.  Small changes over many pieces = better efficiencies.  My piecing had a 100% success rate due to the construction methods I employed.

Design Board Notes: I have covered my batting-covered design board with my old upholstery cloth--I bought it on a close out for maybe $20 20-30 years ago! I was in a "beige phase".  As a protective cover, it is a nice repurposing of something on hand by protecting my design board. 

I cover my batting to protect it from spray basting, but also my batting has accumulated many threads, and I don't want those transferring to my new quilt sandwich. Plus, I don't want to cause a bubble on my new project backing because it has grabbed against the batting on the design wall. 

I'm not looking toward this sandwiching as a dreaded chore.  I resorted to this method after I had "unsquared" my backing on my last project which resulted in my having having an awkward swath of  uncovered backing .  Thankfully, my quilt back was a dark gray tone on tone, so I cannot even see where I patched it.  Never again was I going to fly blind.

Thank you YOUTUBE for helping me find videos on how to do this on the design wall.  There are not many videos out there, so I'll add to the knowledge base on that with this effort.

My goal is to get this finished this week.  I will probably quilt this simply using my walking foot.



 

 

 




0 comments:

Post a Comment