Repurposed Marrow Bones | Let's Do Math!

Marrow bones are an expensive treat.  My dogs love them, but it does not take long for the marrow to go away.  After observing (and stepping on a few, OUCH!) of the marrow bone carcases (stripped clean of any morsel of tissue), I had the idea of repurposing them.  Surely this would fit any's notion of a biohazard in the commercial world.  But let's face it, there is a reason why there is a 5 second rule when things hit the floor!  Well, I'm merely applying my 5 second rule for gnawed-clean bones. (Though in hindsight, microwaving orI'm pretty confident that they are more sterile than most of what my dog's put their mouths on in a given day.

Let's do math!
  • A marrow bone skeleton (sample size of 1) weighs 6.55 oz. (16 oz to a lb)
  •  6.55/16 = .41 lbs. 
  •  .41 x $2.99 = $1.22
  • 41% of the cost of the marrow bone (in this sample of 1) was the bone.
Put another way, taking out the inert ingredient (bone)  the marrow is costing $5.05 per lb.  That  comparative gives one some high quality options at the market, particularly if soon-to-expire quality cuts are purchased.

Given my success with my dog treats and the cost of marrow bones is high, I decided that I would use a cooked mixture (chef's choice, but it included Denver steak purchased on a going out of date sale, grits and wheat flour--inappropriate for dogs with grain allergies), that was then ground into a pate in the food processor.  I then gathered up all of the marrow bone skeletons, stuffed the cavity with the mixture, and put them in a plate into the freezer.  Because the cavities are so large, it is easy to fill them with a 'pate' concoction of my choice.

I'm not worried that my dogs are going to grind their collective teeth down, because the bones are so hard and the interior (marrow or fake marrow) is so tender  that once the interior is gone, the bone has no interest. I would not offer these to any other dogs other than mine (for the aforementioned reasons). 

Even though Angel Marie has grain allergies, I have given her my homemade treats (in moderation) and one of these which have both wheat and corn in them.  I have not noticed that she has had any reaction to them whatsoever.  Also, I have been mixing canned dog food (which has many no-no's in it) with grain free kibble.  Her enjoyment of her food has increased immensely, and so far, no side effects.  The minute her toe webbing begins to swell, we'll go back to the food austerity program.

Having said that, I'm seriously considering transitioning my pets to a raw diet.  I'm most particularly considering it for my cats.  Both of whom are extremely picky eaters--the worst of which is Wyatt. He loves it when I prepare a chicken--I give him the giblets, of which he and Minnah eat all of it.  He also loves lunch meat--but that is only a 'treat', not an acceptable food.

I am now focused on the real cost of food that was enjoyed one month is no longer palatable--that is wasted or consumed by my dogs.  I mix canned food with dry food (mostly canned), and I'm out of the 'regular' options--easily purchased, reasonably affordable. 

I'll post more later on what I end up with.




0 comments:

Post a Comment