Pinwheels Baby Quilt

I still continue to work on my quilting skills.  Free motion quilting is definitely something that needs improvement.  But, I'm being intrepid and forging ahead anyway.  Less than perfect results, but practice...well, I need I lot more!

I started this quilt with a fat quarter bundle that I purchased at either Walmart or Tuesday Morning.  I added in some other fabrics to get the size that I needed.  My goal was simply to practice making pinwheels.  So I made as many pinwheels as I could with the fabrick that I had.  I'm a sucker for gray, and I loved the gray and turquoise fabric.   

I used a 5 x 4 block arrangement with sashing and cornerstones. I made all of this up as I went along muttering frequently that having a design intention would have been a good strategy.  But I liked how it came together with what was on hand. But, in hindsight, I should have made my borders a scoush (sp?) thinner--but in fairness, I did audition a bit on sizes, and felt that this would be okay.

Though I have a design board, alot of good it did me.  My mind wandered, and I ended up having sashing upside down.  How did I know?  The cornerstones are directional.  (!#$^@$%&^$^&).  The idea was to have a print and solid every other block.  That is how I had it laid out on the design wall.  After ripping out two rows of seams I said #uck it!, and accepted that I had a new interpretation of the original design.  Just when I thought I had conquered my newbie mistakes, I made two collosal ones.

After having the quilt top made, I found out that a family friend had a new son.  This goes to newly-arrived Cameron.

Though I have many bumps and jiggles in my free motion quilting, once a quilt is laundered it looks less noticeable.  This marks my 7th baby quilt that I've made.  Now that I've improved (but am far from proficient), I have labeled my last two quilts.



0 comments:

Post a Comment