September's Quilting Progress


Havel Seam Ripper Ultra ProI had to get a new seam ripper.  I opted for the Havel Ultra pro. It is a precision item.

I made a pinwheel baby blanket.  To my surprise (and my hard work in improving my skills/techniques), all of my pinwheels were perfect.  My sashing, perfect...oh except when I did....

The pinwheel quilt had sashing cornerstones, and somehow I managed to get my rows goofed up which made rows 1 and 3 of the 4 I had sewn together have the cornerstones upside down.  Geez...it is TOO EASY to make those mistakes.

Mind you, I have  design board.  Such a boon for keeping things organized and stepping back to see, "what is what".  But the time between going to the board and sitting down...one twist the wrong way and you have a date with a seam ripper.

I also saw a youtube video on a seam ripper that looked like a man's beard trimmer.  I decided to conscript my husband's into quilting servicing.  It really does an amazing job, but it is awkward.  And, I did 'eat' a small piece of fabric.  Nevertheless, once you develop your technique, it works faster than anything. 

I am reminded of all of the muscle memory involved in undertaking a new task....using rotary cutters and rulers, the sewing machine, and the ironing.  My sewing set up (my family calls it my sewing lair) is spacious.  I'm so glad I did a design wall...it really is a necessity to stay organized. 

I'm officially a gluer.  I love the stability that glue-basting seams gives. My work is precise, and there is no shifting during sewing.  I broke down and bought the Bernina piecing foot.  While I received one in multi-foot kit, it does not have the quality needed.  Plus it has a small hole for the needle which does not allow the needle to move right for my perfect scant 1/4 inch.  Also, over bulky seams it bended such that my needle broke as it hit to foot.  I found a good deal on a Bernina foot, and it was well worth the money.  I can move my needle position over one right of center, and it gives me my perfect scant quarter inch seam. The seam guide rides beautifully over fabric and is not bendy like the cheap foot.  The cheap foot guide does NOT ride beautifully.  You really do get what you pay for. 

BTW, No one talks about this...and being older, I need my reading glasses to do close up work. But I have had several needles break where a shard has hit me in my face.  I can imagine that a broken needle tip could easily hit one's eye.  I feel that my glasses protect my eyes. 

I'm so happy that I'm making such good progress.  The only way to improve is to do.  It builds skills and techniques. I'm finding it very pleasurable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment