Free Spirit Fat Quarters | Amazon


Anna Maria Horner - Skipping Stones - 1/2 Yds - 15

Amazon is offering Free Spirit Fat Quarters for $22.47 for 20 fat quarters.  I'm a "never-pay-retail" person, so I like to scour for high quality, low priced items.  At $1.12 for a fat quarter, this bundle delivers out-sized savings...for fabric that is priced in the $10 range.  Though, to be fair, these are discontinued or soon to be. 

I've bought three of these, and I have ended up with some beautiful fabrics...one such collection be that of Anna Maria Horner's Skipping Stones that appeared in all three of my purchases in varying density.  This collection offered a beautiful assortment of desaturated colors.

I wasn'' sure what to do with it, and I hunted around for inspiration.  I found it at Karen Brown's, Just Get it Done Quilts.  She exampled a quilt by Susan Gray in desaturated colors, and I knew that it was the perfect way to showcase these luxurious fabrics.

I've used all of my Skipping Stones collection, and I was able to pull some other fabrics out to work with what I had. I've not made it big enough for a bed--and it is certainly an ample throw at this point.

Block Construction.  The block construction was very simple--and uses 2 light/dark contrasting fabrics for each block and a simple 3 row block (6.5", (3) 3.5", 6.5").    I alternated the blocks.  A few blocks could go either way!

Karen Brown's instructions called for cutting fabric into 2.5" strips (WOF).  Each strip was then cut into (2) 6.5" lengths and (3) 3.5" lengths.  I married a light and a dark fat quarter, and cut my strips from the two that I was planning to use in the same block.

Row (1), (3)  light/dark fabric in 6.5" length.
Row 2 , 1 light, 1 dark, 1 light if top row is light; or 1 dark, 1 light, 1 dark if top row is dark.

It was easy to chain piece.  Design wall very helpful to distribute the blocks in a visually pleasing fashion.

0 comments:

Post a Comment