117.812 Kenmore Deluxe Rotary Part II

I wrote about my acquisition of this machine here.   I've been doing a little sewing on it, and I wanted to provide some "fresh" observations. The person who sold this to me stated she got it from a 92 year old woman who was the first owner.  She would have been 20 when the machine was purchased as it is a 1948 machine.  I asked her if she were a collector...she said that she was a rescuer.  The woman was suffering from dementia.

  • Stitch Length: Maximum stitch length is a smidge less than my Bernina maximum stitch length.
  • Pressure control knob:  I did not know that most vintage machines have pressure control knobs for the feet.  It's a wondrous thing.  My Bernina 910 did not have it, but my new B530 does.  There's a plus in the box for considering vintage.
  • Continuous backward:  This machine has a lever that allows for continuous backward until you change the direction of the lever. (Up for forward; down for reverse).  My Bernina 910 does not offer this, though my new B530 does.
  • Amazing power:  The woman who sold this to me had several things that she had sewn together to include (all together)  2 layers of denim + 3 layers of handbag vinyl  All perfectly stitched.  I tried my own hand at this.  I took 4 layers of quilt batting + fabric.  The stitches were perfect and beautiful, but I did break the needle on a backstitch test.  It was the needle that came with the machine so I'm unsure of the quality of it.
  • Feed Dogs:  The machine has 3 rows of feed dogs.  The middle feed dog is in front of the needle.  My two Bernina's have the middle feed dog behind the needle.  I note that the machine feeds material through quite nicely.
  • Size.  I consider this a diminutive machine.  The machine itself  is 9.5" high and 13.5" wide.  This takes into consideration the highest (to include knob heights) and the widest (clutch knob) measurements.  This is compared to my Bernina which measures 12" x 16"==so about 80% smaller than those machines if you split the diff.  The base is wooden and is 2 7/8" high and 17.5 x 8.5 long and wide respectively.
  • Weight:  It weighs exactly 18lbs (base + machine).  I did not weigh the case.
  • Body material:  I've seen it said that the body and machine bed is an aluminum alloy.  A magnet will not stick to the base, but it will stick to the chromed presser foot area plate.
  • Seam guides...none.  Interesting the pre-drilled holes did not fit any of my screws.  I have ordered some "old stuff" (vintage feet and seam guides).  We will see if that works.
  • Bobbin:  It takes an old style bobbin.  Bobbin goes in clockwise.  Remove the base screw to tilt the machine back for easier access to the bobbin.
  • Threading.  It has an unusual threading pattern to the modern eye.  I saw an excellent aphorism to remember at "Sewingiscool" blog:  "Tension before takeup"  This machine threading can be EASILY reversed (and I made that mistake).  So no matter the machine that you are threading, remember that little jingle!
  • Foot pedal...the foot pedal is a bit awkward and very stiff. 
  • Muscle memory:  Because this machine requires you to spin the handwheel AWAY from you, your prior muscle memory is in conflict.  Also for those used to flipping a lever UP for backward stitching (like I have to do on my 910), muscle memory is not friendly here either.
  • Feet:  It takes a "forked" foot.  The machine only came with the perfect 1/4" foot.  I have ordered additional feet from Ebay. It also includes a manual for a 117.551

While my Berninas (910 and the newer B530) offer newer conveniences, the seriousness of this machine takes my breath away!  And I would not give up my BSR on my B530...but not every machines does everything well.

0 comments:

Post a Comment