Upcycling

 Oh yes, "upcycling" is the new, big thing.  You Tube has many great vids/contributors on the glories of upcycling.  I've been a "thrifter" for decades.  Of course, thrift stores were not as ubiquitous "then" as they are "now".  Thrifting satisfies our hunter, gather impulses--without breaking the bank. Plus the monies that go to charitable stores support great causes (in addition to feeding our impulses).  

I recently had a chance to go to one of my favorite thrift shops--CHKD:  Children's Hospital of the King's Daughters. It is an old organization, founded in 1901 by women who cared for indigent children known as "King's Daughters".  Their thrift stores contribute $2mil annually to their causes.  

I have found some really cool stuff there.  With Covid, I've been not done much foraging, but did so yesterday.  For the small some of $20, (I got a senior citizen discount of 25% off), I got

  • 3 100% cotton king-sized Sheets.  I 'm going to line shopping bags with these.  
  • 3 sets of 100% cotton duck, tabbed curtains.  Great fabric to make aprons, shopping bags.
  • about 3 yards of a vintage Waverly "Yew Too" print...green topiary on blue and white stripes.  Again...shopping bags or other bag like stuff.
  • A large damask table cloth...you got it...bag interiors.

I've already made 2 aprons from the duck.  I took one of my favorite aprons, folded it in half and traced it out with the seam allowances on some Pelon pattern fabric. I love that stuff...so much easier to work with than paper.  I just placed it on the fold of the fabric and it was so easy...particularly since I used the pre-hemmed piece of the curtains.

Though I have several aprons, but due to their use over these many years, they are a tad 'ratty'.  I always cook with an apron, and I like to where one when I clean.  So now I have a "newer" one. It was nice to have a maiden voyage.

The second apron I made for my sister in law. I made her a utility apron...something that she can wear when she gardens. 

It was fun to imagine and execute on possibilities AND  support one of my favorite causes.


0 comments:

Post a Comment